• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Maps pre-cache still needing data connection

RussBurt

Lurker
Feb 26, 2012
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.

Using Google Maps on a Desire running 2.3, I use pre-caching a lot. However when I plot a route within the 10 mile radius it still seems to need a data signal.

I tried it in Airplane mode as well as with mobile internet switched off but I get a message saying it needs a data connection.

My data plan is pretty poor so I want to be sure I'm not still downloading a route while using pre-caching.

You can cache up to 10 map areas permanently, and route within them without a data connection. But if you need to route outside the cached area, you need a data connection for that. You should be able to reroute within an area that was cached for a route, but if you need to route to anywhere outside that cached area, again a data connection is needed. Google says you can do it, but I haven't really tried it.

Upvote 0
You can cache up to 10 map areas permanently
3.jpg
Weird, because my pre-cached areas vanish overnight, for no reason.

Upvote 0
I think it doesn't allow searches/routing while using pre-cache, it only displays the map.

That is right. When you cache map areas, it is only to see them in Google Maps. Google Navigation (turn by turn navigation) does not utilize the cached area.

Google Navigation does have its own cache. If you create a route it will cache the route so if you loose your data connection midway through, the screen walk still update. But again, this is different than Google Maps caching.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones