• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Maps Pre-Cached Problem

changkh

Lurker
Jan 1, 2012
Am starting this thread because I couldn't find a thread with the similar problem. This is what happens:

On 1 Jan, I created 4 pre-cached map areas using WiFi and the resultant current cache size shows 4.9MB.

On 3 Jan, I opened Goggle Maps (without any internet connection) but the map area was blank and the current cache size shows 39B.

I was expecting to see the 4 pre-cached maps loaded since this feature was meant for offline map viewing. During this time frame, I did not open Google Maps nor cleared the cache at all.

I have been using this feature ever since it first came out. Yes, immediately after I cached the maps, turn off all internet connection, I can view the maps. However, after 1 or 2 days, the maps seem to be cleared automatically, always.

Anyone encountered similar problem or is it just me?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones