Google Maps Question - Friends Latitude

Last Updated:

1. emoisdead

emoisdead Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone know how latitude updated? It says my friend updates it every 15min or so but he doesn't up open google maps. It also says hes right outside my apartment when hes 30min away, any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. Dmags

Dmags Member

I have found that when I am inside my home. the map showes me to be about 1 mile away from where I am. But, when I am outside, it pinpoints me down to about 5 feet. i think its a difference on whether its using GPS or Cell Towers.

3. Tymanthius

Tymanthius Well-Known Member

Yes, if it can't get a gps signal, it uses cell tower locations. Which is plenty good enough for things like 'nearest movie' and such.

4. emoisdead

Does anyone know how it updates my friends location? Does he have to launch google maps, the browser?

5. emoisdead

bump

6. mothbeast

mothbeast Active Member

I've been having accuracy / update issues with Latitude too. It shows my location very accurately at home (top floor) and when walking around outside. I was hoping to be able to track my husbands bus commute to avoid those annoying how close are you phone calls. I thought that it would update constantly like it does when I walk but I get maybe 1 or 2 updates in 45 min.

I just figured out one thing - I was confused why his phone was showing up as half a block away and using cell tower location when GPS was enabled. Turning off the bluetooth fixed that and now the location dots are in the same place like they should be.

Some of these problems look like they have been going on for awhile - there's some troubleshooting here:

Latitude is not automatically updating location. - Google Mobile Help

7. Jus10

Jus10 Well-Known Member

I don't use latitude but I this question pertains to it... I'm going around deleting unused $h!t and have noticed that it can be deleted, but it came with my maps updated so I was curious if I deleted it if it would screw up my maps at all?

8. RadOD

RadOD Active Member

Latitude has never really worked.

Droid Tracker and Glympse work although neither is quite the same as latitude and require extra apps.

9. maximilianyuen

maximilianyuen New Member

bump, just reg this forum for this question.....
    was planned to open a post but saw this first so post my question here:

phone: HTC incredible S, 2.2

I was sharing my location been a week and it's been working fine.

Just 5 days ago, my friend complains i stop updating anymore, and my mobile gmap privacy settings are all fine, and I use GPS on road everyday, so no way I could have failed to send my location to google.

Now, even I myself can't see my most update Latitude location, my firefox4 said it's "updated 5 days ago" and my browser is sharing location already!

Please help, my phone provide said it's google's side problem and refuse to help, while Google offer the worse customer support I experience ever, because they DON"T HAVE ANY CUSTOMER SUPPORT.

I was happy as an android user until I find problems and there are NO WAY for me to get ANY HELP from google.

----------------------
    I have posted on google help forum, as well as some other people who got the same problem...
    http://www.google.com/support/fo ... 699e86356&hl=en

tried all the suggested "working" solution here with no luck:
    Latitude is not automatically updating location. - Google Mobile Help

no reply. no help from google forum.
    Please help if you can[​IMG]
    or at least please tell me how can I get a reply or help from google?