Google Maps QuestionSupport

Last Updated:

1. alderran

alderran Member This Topic's Starter

I'm considering dumping my Iphone for an HTC incredible. I travel to Singapore once a year. In the past it has been very useful that I was able to use my Iphone as a GPS. AT&T allows you to pre-pay for international data and I was able to use google maps and check my email etc. I don't really care abou the email because I can always get on a WiFi, but the google maps wouldn't have worked and I really loved having the phone as a GPS.

Anyway I'd like to continue to have that capability. I was wondering if it is possible to download a map of an area while on WiFi and then use that for road directions later.

The phone also doesn't matter because I have an old unlocked Nokia phone and I'll just buy a local pay as you go number.

Although I guess I could do the same with my portable GPS but they charge 120 for a map of the area.

Advertisement
  2. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

Yep... check out a program called Maverick. It will automatically cache any map you're currently looking at and you can load maps from a computer using TrekBuddy.

alderran likes this.
  3. jryan727

jryan727 Well-Known Member

What Outatime said. As for data out of the country (if you ever do want it), VZW lets you activate data for a flat unlimited daily rate. I was in Mexico a few weeks ago and it only cost $2/day for unlimited data. I had better service than I've EVER had here in NY. There weren't many people down there, and I was in a tourist town, so it was like having a cell network to myself - it was blazingly fast! The only catch: You can obviously only do this in countries with CDMA networks, I believe China is only GSM (don't hold me to that, though).

4. alderran

alderran Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, BTW Singapore is not part of and is nowhere near China. It's right below Malaysia. If you ever have a chance it's a fantastic place to visit. Like another world, but it was a british colony so everybody speaks english.