• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google maps stop lights

mljohn

Lurker
Jul 26, 2013
I'm looking to have an app made for the android that will show me which intersections have stop lights and which have a stop signs and which intersections have no stop light or stop sign on a map.

Is it possible to use Goggles maps?
Does Google already contain the info about stop lights and stop signs?

Thanks for answering my basic questions.

Matt

I'm looking to have an app made for the android that will show me which intersections have stop lights and which have a stop signs and which intersections have no stop light or stop sign on a map.

Is it possible to use Goggles maps?
Does Google already contain the info about stop lights and stop signs?

Thanks for answering my basic questions.

Matt

I've used Google maps quite a bit and I've never seen this feature. That would be cool but it sounds like it would be a resource hog.

Just think about how many stop signs and traffic lights there are in just one town with around 50,000 population. Thats a TON of data being transferred.

Reactions: mljohn
Upvote 0
I don't think it'd be a resource hog. The data is smaller than the other data in an equal amount on the map; it'd a single byte, or less, in addition to a coordinate (which may be unnecessary as it might be added as a property to intersections, if intersections are an object, and I bet they are). How many different options could there be? Light, stop sign, nothing, yield sign...anything else? That requires only a 3-bit byte; we use 8-bit bytes.

The bigger problem would be data collection. It would be a lot of work to collect and document that data, as well as deal with inaccuracies as things change...maybe not much more effort than is already used to make the maps though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones