Google Maps tracking directionSupport

Last Updated:

1. fegriffith

fegriffith Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

O.k...I hope this isn't a stupid question...but when using Google Maps (not navigation) does it display your route so that you are always going "up", or does it display your route so you are going left?

So if I fire up Google Maps and just want to leave it on while I drive home, but I'm not trying to do any kind of navigation...though I might open the traffic layer, should my route be coming from the bottom of the screen going upwards or should it be going from the right to the left?

I noticed driving home the other night it was tracking me going right to left. It seemed odd.

Advertisement
  2. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Are you landscaped or portrait?

3. fegriffith

It did it the same both ways.

4. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Geez I cannot remember now I use Nav rarely. If no one comes thru with an answer Im heading out within the hour and I will test mine out and report back. I wanna say from poor memory its top to bottom but dont hold me to that. I will test out and report back

5. boomerbubba

boomerbubba Well-Known Member

As you note, Google Maps and Google Naviation are two separate apps.

Google Navigation orients to the route ahead, as a driver might see it through the windshield.

Google Maps is oriented with North on top of the screen display, just as paper map is traditionally oriented with North at the top.

Goreygirl, wtherrell and fegriffith like this.
  6. fegriffith

Thank you...I must have been traveling west on the day I observed the behavior, because last night on the drive home I noticed the behavior was more inline with North being up.

7. Goreygirl

Goreygirl Well-Known Member

Thanks for this .. I'm always driving downwards so was wondering why this was ..never thought of the maps v nav thing.