• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google maps vs. Garmin my .02

sj24

May 5, 2010
Cape Cod
Today I used google maps from my incredible to go to a store that i've been to before . Google had me get off at exit 9 as opposed to exit 10, exit 9 brought me through the center of town, approx 6 mins from the store. Garmin tells me to use exit 10 which is alot closer, store is less than 1 min from exit. Google seems to be more update on searches and locations because Garmin tells me that store in on left side of street but really is on right. The other day Google sent me down a dirt road, around a pond and through a cranberry bog even though a paved road was nearby, dirt road was more direct, definatly not easier. I guess Google from phone is good in a pinch but if I'm going away on a trip i'll definatly be bringing my trusty Garmin.

I love Garmin, I had it on my Samsung Omnia and I just wish Garmin would come up with the software version for Android phones.
Undoubted benefits of Garmin GPS software are:
1. Automatic reroute when you miss the exit, unlike google where you have to come back to the missed exit or turn.
2. Searches for the traffic like google, like google traffic is free, unlike google Garmin automatically guides you to avoid traffic congestions.

Upvote 0
1. google nav has automatically rerouted me after I wavered from the given directions(my Garmin is VERY persistent on looping me back to any missed turn despite me screaming at it.)
2. the traffic on my Garmin causes way more issues than it resolves. it has a nasty habit of dumping me on surface streets in the middle of cities which 99% of the time is a time loser vs. riding out the hghwy traffic.
3. regardless, any phone app is not a suitable replacement for a standalone gps unit, but Garmin on Android is miles ahead of any other mobile option (pun intended)

btw - I had the full Garmin on my BB and it was very nice, but Google Nav's integration with Google Maps online is so ridiculously convenient that it trumps the Garmin app by a wide margin. No more manually transferring saved maps and routes to POIs for my GPS unit and STILL having to manually enter them into the Garmin mobile app.

Upvote 0
Undoubted benefits of Garmin GPS software are:
1. Automatic reroute when you miss the exit, unlike google where you have to come back to the missed exit or turn...

My experience is that Google Maps Navigation does reroute you if you miss a turn or otherwise don't follow the route.

...2. Searches for the traffic like google, like google traffic is free, unlike google Garmin automatically guides you to avoid traffic congestions.

Garmin automatically routes you to avoid the traffic it knows about, which is often limited to major highways. In heavy traffic this can often result in a route that takes you on local roads, where Garmin is unaware of the traffic that has developed due to everyone else trying to avoid the same highway traffic.

This problem is not unique to Garmin though. Any automatic routing around traffic will be flawed when the traffic information is incomplete. I think TomTom does a better job here, but it really comes down to how well it works for YOU in YOUR area.

One thing I have focused on since having a Garmin I was unhappy with, is the guidance provided to keep you on the selected route. I find that Google does a good job with this, and TomTom as well, whereas Garmin does not. Again, much of this has to do with map quality in a particular area, and your personal preferences.

Upvote 0
Google Navigator does not automatically reroute you. I know it seems silly not having this feature, but so is traffic avoidance, after all, Nav already can have layer of traffic, but it is too stupid to do auto avoidance. I expected better from Google :(.

Google Navigator most definitely DOES reroute you automatically. It won't do it if you lose your data connection, however. That is the only advantage I see to my Garmin. The maps are already stored on it so I don't have to worry about a data connection. My Garmin maps are 2 years old now though and there is no way I'm paying for new ones.

Upvote 0
For the money - FREE I think GoogNav is great app, however, another point nobody seem to care, is that you will loose your navigation capabilities with GoogNav in the area that does not have good celltower reception.
For instance I do a lot of camping trips in summer and in some areas there are no cell connection at all, that would put me at the disadvantage.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones