• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google maps vs VZ Navigator

I currently own the droid 2. One of the primary reasons I bought an android phone was to use google maps turn by turn voice navigation. Google maps has saved me numerous times when I got lost in a big city or a small residential area. I turned down buying the iPhone because I didn't think VZ navigator came close to the caliber of google maps.

Now my 2 year contract is up and I'm deciding whether to buy the iPhone 4S or Droid 3. I really like the new keyboard of the droid 3 and the gingerbread OS. Plus it has google maps which is the application I use the most.

I also like the iPhone because it has a better music player and it syncs perfectly with my mac. It also works with google music. However I'm not too crazy about VZ navigator. I don't believe its as accurate as google maps. In addition I don't feel like paying money to use a turn by turn navigation application.

So my million dollar question is:

Which is the superior turn by turn navigation app, Google maps or VZ navigator.

At this time I'm leaning towards the IPhone but the VZ nav could be a deal breaker.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.

Seeing that VZ Navigator cost as mush as $4.99 a month and Google is free. I say go with Google maps. I haven't used any other Nav. apps, but Google and CoPilot. If you want the lastest maps, without having to pay, Google Maps is the one. It has a lot of useful features, its easy to set up and understand. And you don't have to worry about getting a bad address, since it's linked with the Google search engine.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies. I'll take everyone's opinion into consideration for my next purchase. I decided to do more research and further educated myself on the pros and cons of both phones. I want to make sure I buy the best phone considering I have to keep it for the next 2 years.
I'm in the same position as you are...deciding between droid phone and iphone based on the navigation systems. I'm anxious to hear what you decided and why

Upvote 0
I used to have an iPhone 3Gs (well, still have it, but don't use it except for an alarm clock), and just so you know, there are other options for navigating with it besides VZ Nav. In the Apple App Store, you can buy Navigon and TomTom turn by turn GPS nav apps, and while you have to pay for the apps, there is no monthly fee with them like with the VZ Nav. I used the Navigon app on my phone (have a stand-alone Navigon GPS, and I like it a lot), and it worked great. So if you choose your phone poorly and go with the iPhone 4s :)p), then I would recommend Navigon. Plus, I believe it loads maps onto the phones memory, so it will work with no data network connectivity. It does use up memory though, so something to keep in mind when deciding which size to get.

Upvote 0
unbelievable that people recommend against things they've never used! I don't propose to recommend against Google Maps because I haven't used it on my iPhone but I do use VZ Navigator all the time and it's the best gps system I've ever used. I HAVE compared it to the Garmin and Magellan and other GPSes and VZN always does a better job. It's integrated with the outside world as well so you can find gas stations (wi prices), movies, etc., close to where you're currently located. This is in addition to the Find feature. And, of course, it has current traffic conditions and a detour feature. So here are some other things that I haven't heard about in relation to Google Maps that you might want to check out.

VZN uses a NavTech map base which is excellent and also includes signage which VZN uses in the app. So when VZ Navigator is telling you to make a turn and there's a landmark sign in its database, it'll tell you to turn toward "what's on the sign". For example, the other day it told me to turn right on Northside Dr and, since there was a sign for the World Congress Center at that exit, it told me to turn right toward the World Congress Center.

I can also save my favorites for places I go often and I can pull up any addresses I've recently navigated to. I particularly like being able to navigate to addresses stored in my Contacts since it's also integrated with that. (And my contacts are synced across my PCs, iPhone and iPad so that's kewl, too.)

I also like being able to set route preferences - quickest vs shortest; expressways vs surface streets (depending on time of day, this is useful); avoid toll roads, carpool lanes, etc; mode of transportation; night mode; and form of display (like 2d, dashboard or list for example). Oh, and VZN tells me about traffic problems verbally - I don't have to study a map to figure it out.

And I can change voices - I've tried several and keep going back to the same one but at least I have the option!

Better yet, if you've used GPSs and other navigation systems, try Google Maps and VZN on the same phone for a month to see which one does a better job for you. VZN only costs $4.99.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones