• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google maps won't shut up, speaking gibberish

surgerush

Android Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2011
New York State
Samsung Exhibit II running 2.3.5. I've tried looking this up, but I really don't know what to search. It doesn't happen every time I use it, but quite often, nearly every time. Google Maps will be navigating me to my location, then out of the blue it will not shut up, like it's reading lines of code or something and it does not stop... It's just a ton of gibberish to me, but it's REALLY annoying, and the help of telling me where to turn is overrun with all the gibberish talk so I have to look at the phone to actually know where to go instead of listening. It's driving me crazy, please any help would be great.

I thought the telenav that came installed on the device wasn't free, but I have been able to do the basics with that, but if using Pico for Google maps will work, I'm definitely changing it since I'd rather be using that anyways. I'll give that a try, thanks....

What exactly is the difference between using the two TTS? Or is there any?

Upvote 0
I had the same thing happen with my Galaxy S II. Turns out the Samsung TTS voice isn't compatible with Google Navigation -- it's a known issue. Switch to the alternative TTS voice you have on your phone. With me, it's Pico TTS. That works fine.

Was just scrolling through my subscribed stuff, noticed I never said whether this worked or not. Just wanted to update to say this worked perfectly and thank you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones