google maps

Last Updated:

1. Markymarkmark1234

Markymarkmark1234 Member This Topic's Starter

i have a motorola droid, now running 2.1.
    my question is pertaining to the live wallpapers. i enjoy using the maps wallpaper, but when i have both "use wireless networks" and "use gps satellites" selected, it shows my location as a couple miles away, with the blue shaded circle around the location 'dot.' however, when i turn off "use wireless networks" the location 'dot' disappears completely but the map will be centered on my approximate location. and when i de-select "use gps satellites" but select "use wireless networks" i get the same wrong location also with the blue shaded circle.
    when i go into the google maps app, with just "use gps satellites" selected, it shows my location, though with the arrow not facing the correct direction. and again, when both options are selected, it shows my location a few miles away with the blue shaded circle around it(this is the same location it says i am in on the wallpaper.) any help would be appreciated, i'd like the wallpaper to show my location either with both options selected(preferable) or just the "use gps satellites" selected.

Advertisement
  2. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

Your post makes my head hurt! :confused: I'm not really sure what you are asking and I don't use the maps wallpaper, but it seems like you are trying to change the settings on the wallpaper through the google maps app. I'm not sure the 2 are interchangeable.

On a sidenote, why are you using the maps wallpaper? It is cool, but it really just eats your battery alive! Especially with GPS and wireless on!

3. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

What I can tell youis that the location given to you by wireless alone is the location of the tower you are using. The GPS takes that location as a quick reference and then pinpoints your actual location. If you are stationary, doing a figure 8 motion over your head with the phone will disrupt magnetic field sensors and help the GPS LOCATE you more accurately.
    My head hurts too. I gave you some accurate info that you can do the translation to help with your situation.

4. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

The Maps live wallpaper only uses the wireless network (cell towers) for locating you. It doesn't work w/ the GPS radio. The big blue circle is Google's best guestimation as to your location using only cell tower triangulation (<-- sounded like Al Sharpton there - lol).

5. Markymarkmark1234

Markymarkmark1234 Member This Topic's Starter

blueice...sorry i made your head hurt, my question was pretty much answered by the next poster. but in answer to your question, i dont use my phone for much of anything, so my battery lasts about two days, soemtimes 3 depending on if i listen to music at work. i know i know, why have a smart phone if i'm not going to use it for anything, in answer to that, i like having the internet available with me everywhere i go, just in case. and its simpler carrying a smart phone than a laptop and a dumb phone, or even worse an ipad.