• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Messenger vs Textra SMS

JimKnuckles

Android Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2010
Hello all

I have a group chat going with family that 8 people in it. There are two in the group that i cannot receive their messages. It shoots a "cannot download message" to their individual chat, and they dont show up in the group chat. Oddly enough, they are the only two Android users in the group, and i dont get their messages.

If i download Textra SMS, i get the messages with no problem.

My question - why would i get them in one sms app and not another sms app with the same exact settings? I cant figure this out

any ideas?

Hello all

I have a group chat going with family that 8 people in it. There are two in the group that i cannot receive their messages. It shoots a "cannot download message" to their individual chat, and they dont show up in the group chat. Oddly enough, they are the only two Android users in the group, and i dont get their messages.

If i download Textra SMS, i get the messages with no problem.

My question - why would i get them in one sms app and not another sms app with the same exact settings? I cant figure this out

any ideas?

Reboot your phone. That has happened to my wife on occasion and a phone reboot corrects it every time for her.

Upvote 0
Group texts are always sent as MMS messages rather then SMS from a single sender, even if there is nothing attached to the message. It could be that the other text app doesn't have permission to access the internet or has a data restriction on it to prevent wasting mobile data with picture texts.

Which app is the one that doesn't work?

Upvote 0
Group texts are always sent as MMS messages rather then SMS from a single sender, even if there is nothing attached to the message. It could be that the other text app doesn't have permission to access the internet or has a data restriction on it to prevent wasting mobile data with picture texts.

Which app is the one that doesn't work?
Google Messenger is the one that isn't working. It's specific to this group chat. I don't have any problems with the other group chats that I have going. Thats the strange thing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones