• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Music Beta

slightly off topic, but maybe not. Wondering if someone can help me out.

Whats the easiest way to have my songs in itunes available to me on my phone, whether I stream from the internet or bring it to my phone..just looking for the simplest.

For all the products i've used, streaming music everywhere I go... Google Music is prime, I'm really enjoying it so far...

Upvote 0
what matters to GM is the ID3 tags. you can have all your songs.. all 100000,0000,00 of them.. in one folder on your local drive and have separate and unique ID3 tags for the songs. GM will put the songs in the correct album when it uplaods the songs.

example, i have a folder for , say, pandora tracks i purchased off there.. and say, my own tracks i made, and then some Rips of CDs over the years.. they all have proper ID3 tag and even though they may be in different folders locally, once GM uploads them they all get put into their proper albums in GM.

so when i say you can just cut and paste a song or two you want to upload, just put it in a folder and label it "singles" or some such. as long as you have the correct ID3 tags, they will sort into the correct albums in GM if they are part of a certain album. :)

i think we are both on the same page... ;)

Reactions: yeah yeah
Upvote 0
This might be a stupid question... but... I have tons of iTunes music I bought years ago and don't listen to anymore because my iPod broke. Is there anyway to import my music directly into Google Music and not use iTunes at all?

Edit: Some of my older music has DRM on it. Doesn't iTunes offer to remove that for 30 cents a song? I don't mind paying to have full access to my music. Trying to figure this out to make the switch to Google Music... Installing iTunes now and importing my old iTunes library from my portable HDD.

Edit #2: Ok, it looks like I have around 450 out of 1760 songs in my iTunes library that are DRM protected. Around $130 to have Apple remove it and listen to ALL my music wherever I want to... I'm considering it... I'll admit, it's annoying to be told you need to pay for music, again, that you already purchased...

Upvote 0
My main gripe so far is that it does not recognize changes in meta data on the PC side. For example, I changed a few 'Artist' and 'Album Artist' tags in music on my PC, but Google Music web and phone app does not recognize these changes.

I would also like to see Soundtracks organize a little better. I would like to see a toggle for "part of a compilation".

*** Anyone that also believes Google needs to monitor meta data changes, please voice your concern in the following Google site ...
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Apps/thread?tid=1c5e224fdd13bdf8&hl=en

Upvote 0
In order to get my soundtracks to show up as the same album I had to go back and edit all of my soundtrack items to VARIOUS ARTIST which I hate doing when I know who the artist is. Lame that Google Music lists them as separate albums when the actual albums are the exact same. There needs to be an easier way to delete an item from Google Music and then add it again too.

Upvote 0
In order to get my soundtracks to show up as the same album I had to go back and edit all of my soundtrack items to VARIOUS ARTIST which I hate doing when I know who the artist is. Lame that Google Music lists them as separate albums when the actual albums are the exact same. There needs to be an easier way to delete an item from Google Music and then add it again too.
That is exactly what I did too. But Google does not monitor tag changes on the PC, so it does not show up on the Google Music web site or my phone app. So, in order to make it work I have to change it both on my PC, and then in the wep page. Lame. I hope they fix this soon.

Upvote 0
That is exactly what I did too. But Google does not monitor tag changes on the PC, so it does not show up on the Google Music web site or my phone app. So, in order to make it work I have to change it both on my PC, and then in the wep page. Lame. I hope they fix this soon.

I usually make notes of the items that need to be updated and then delete them from the Google Music cloud. I then move them from my Music folder on my PC to somewhere else to edit and work on. Once done I move them back and let Music Manager upload them again. Only problem is if these tracks are in a playlist you have to add them again. Twice already I've had to delete my entire library and upload again. Not fun. Google is onto something but needs to hurry up with addressing these issues and push it to end users before people get pissed and give up for good.

Upvote 0
I usually make notes of the items that need to be updated and then delete them from the Google Music cloud. I then move them from my Music folder on my PC to somewhere else to edit and work on. Once done I move them back and let Music Manager upload them again. Only problem is if these tracks are in a playlist you have to add them again. Twice already I've had to delete my entire library and upload again. Not fun. Google is onto something but needs to hurry up with addressing these issues and push it to end users before people get pissed and give up for good.
That was my next plan.
If I delete an album from the Google Beta website, does it delete from my PC too? I assume it does not, but just want to be safe.

Also, I have Google Music monitoring one folder on my PC ... My Music. Where all my music is stored under in sub-folders. Will your advised method above work for my situation? I would think the upload manager would ignore this album since I told it to delete it from the webpage. Or, does moving the album back and forth like you mentioned trick it into thinking new music is added?

I agree, Google Music is a great service. It is almost perfect for me. Though, it is beta, right =)

Upvote 0
That was my next plan.
If I delete an album from the Google Beta website, does it delete from my PC too? I assume it does not, but just want to be safe.

Also, I have Google Music monitoring one folder on my PC ... My Music. Where all my music is stored under in sub-folders. Will your advised method above work for my situation? I would think the upload manager would ignore this album since I told it to delete it from the webpage. Or, does moving the album back and forth like you mentioned trick it into thinking new music is added?

I agree, Google Music is a great service. It is almost perfect for me. Though, it is beta, right =)

No, I haven't had it delete anything from my local machine when I delete it from my cloud account. I created another folder outside of what I told Music Manager to monitor for files that need to be edited. I can copy files there from other devices that need tag info edited and album art added as well as items in my Music folder that need to be edited. Then I just move those files to that folder and Music Manager does it's thing. Not the easiest but it's a way to make things jive.

Upvote 0
This might be a stupid question... but... I have tons of iTunes music I bought years ago and don't listen to anymore because my iPod broke. Is there anyway to import my music directly into Google Music and not use iTunes at all?

Edit: Some of my older music has DRM on it. Doesn't iTunes offer to remove that for 30 cents a song? I don't mind paying to have full access to my music. Trying to figure this out to make the switch to Google Music... Installing iTunes now and importing my old iTunes library from my portable HDD.

Edit #2: Ok, it looks like I have around 450 out of 1760 songs in my iTunes library that are DRM protected. Around $130 to have Apple remove it and listen to ALL my music wherever I want to... I'm considering it... I'll admit, it's annoying to be told you need to pay for music, again, that you already purchased...

You can download Music Manager from the Music Beta webpage then select other folders to upload from - completely independent from iTunes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones