• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Music playback/navigation observations (coming from a Rezound)

Ninjak

Android Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2009
Laurel, MD
So far I'm loving this phone. After my Droid 2 I thought I'd give HTC a shot and, while I enjoyed the Rezound, this Maxx is even better... except for the two features I'll use most. I was on my Google Play Music this morning and, wow, did it sound awful out of the box (using the Rezound's beats audio earbuds). Sound was loud and bassy, which is good, but wasn't crisp. Came out muddy. I'm hoping that this is simply a case of it just needing to be equalized, which was likely automatically done via beats audio on the Rezound and I suspect the HTC One. I'll do some more looking into it. The one thing that irks me (though not a dealbreaker) is that I'd become very accustomed to using the reverse/FF buttons on the beats earbuds to go to the previous/next track on the Rezound. Those two buttons do nothing when used with the Maxx, in Google Music although I can still pause/play. Has anyone tested this with the same or other similar earbuds? And, speaking of music, I can't find anywhere indicating how to redeem our six months of free Google Play Music All Access. I was already a paid subscriber and I'm still listed as having a billing date next month, so am wondering how to get Google to activate the promotion on my account. All-in-all, though, this is a great phone. Now I just need a dock for it. I might even need a case. That rubbery kevlar backing feels sort of greasy to me and could still slip out of my hands if I'm not careful with it.

And I have NEVER seen my Rezound download so fast over my 5GHz wifi connection compared to this Maxx. I download a 10Mb+ file in a second, as it should be, not several seconds to a minute on the 3-4 Rezounds I had. They acted as if they were trying to download over 3G or 1x instead of wifi and i never could determine why. Another reason I find myself wary of the HTC One, aside from the horrid battery life I had on the Rezound even with the extended battery.

That definitely helped a little, particularly turning off that 3D effect garbage. I'm gonna get a new equalizer this week to do some more fine-tuning, hopefully with more presets. At least until root is achieved and the beats audio equalizer can be ported. ;) My commute today drove me crazy constantly having to handle the phone every time I wanted to change a track, so i still have to sort that out. I might stop by my Verizon store tonight to ask how to get my 6 months of freebie All Access recognized by Google, but I'm not holding my breath that they'll know.

Upvote 0
That definitely helped a little, particularly turning off that 3D effect garbage. I'm gonna get a new equalizer this week to do some more fine-tuning, hopefully with more presets. At least until root is achieved and the beats audio equalizer can be ported. ;) My commute today drove me crazy constantly having to handle the phone every time I wanted to change a track, so i still have to sort that out. I might stop by my Verizon store tonight to ask how to get my 6 months of freebie All Access recognized by Google, but I'm not holding my breath that they'll know.

Getting your free 6 months of All Access is easy. Just open the Music App and it signs you up.

Upvote 0
It may be the OP's Rezound earbuds to blame. I've found the A2DP and AVRCP profiles to be mature enough that I'm getting full FFWD/RWD functionally interfacing with my car's Sync system, HMDX Jam Jar, and my LG Bluetooth headphones.

I'm not interfacing with anything, just using wired beats audio earbuds from the Rezound. Doing more research reveals that bluetooth is usually fine, but Android has a very poor record of supporting more than 1-button functionality on wired headsets since they use a different spec than, say, Apple does on their headphones. This is why iPod-compatible earbuds with extra button controls don't work on Android phones/tabs. The reason my Rezound earbuds worked is because HTC made it work specifically on their beats audio phones. Generally multi-button seems to only work with earbuds that came packed with the a phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones