Google Music policy change?General

1. egernant

egernant Well-Known Member

Not exactly Gnex specific, but I know I'll get responses on this board. My wife bought a song last night on Google Play and I wanted to download the MP3 and upload it to my account as well so we both had access to it. I've done this in the past several times by simply downloading the song via the Google Music website, then uploading that song via music manager into my account. I tried that this time and got an uploading error saying that this song was already tied to another Google Play account. What the hell?!

I get it, Google is trying to appease the music industry, but this is unacceptable. We own the song, yet I can't have it on my device (via streaming)? We both exclusively use Google Music and buy from the Google Play store, and yet this is what happens? Google is essentially forcing my hand to buy from Amazon from now on. I'm not buying the same song twice every time I want a new song.

Is there some sort of solution to this problem that I haven't thought of?

Advertisement
    :
  2. joesixpack

joesixpack Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, people, but doesn't he have to add her account to his phone so that Google Play will permit downloads to the device? I had to do something like that with my wife's phone so that she could download any of the apps I bought. Google isn't trying to hose you. That's Apple's job.

Help me out, everyone. Don't know the exact method, but there should be a simple way to get the songs you paid for. Here's how CNET says to do it for apps:

How to install paid apps on multiple Android devices | How To - CNET
    egernant likes this.
  3. egernant

Wow, very cool. Just added her account to my phone and chose not to sync anything (don't want her emails, all of her girly music, etc.). I can now go in and download the apps she has purchased, but I still don't see how this affects google music directly. I don't think music manager on my PC has any idea that my account and her account are linked in any way, so the upload can't proceed.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
  4. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Its a very old fashioned method, but how we did back in the Apple DRM days was burn it to a CD, and then re-rip it. Then all data that would identify it would be removed. After all, 80s technology doesn't support DRM properly. :D
  5. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

MP3 files don't typically have DRM, so there may be some other way they're identifying the song. I wonder if it's as simple as an identifier in the ID3 tag? Could you look in the metadata and see if there is a fingerprint hash or something?
  6. kyrsteeZ

kyrsteeZ Member

I don't know if it will work but you could always try uploading it on a site like zippyshare or hulkshare or send space and then just keep the file private and send it to yourself that way.
  7. egernant

Checked metadata and there is nothing. I deleted everything in there and it still won't work. I tried uploading to dropbox and re-downloading, but that didn't work either. Any other ideas? This is ridiculous.
  8. GandalfTehGray

GandalfTehGray Well-Known Member

So signing into her Google account did nothing? I know my Gf uses my account with no problem, made a playlist just for her last night that worked fine. If nothing else works for you try out video2mp3.com
  9. Demache

Convert the file to a different format like AAC. It must be checking for something.
  10. dndbuddy

dndbuddy New Member

It's worse than any of you have said so far.

Here is my scenario: I bought a bunch of albums for my kids to listen to. Over 200 songs.

If I'm at work and have Play Music on, no one at home can listen to the music of course (Play blocks simultaneous users). Which means either I have to give MY KIDS credit cards and accounts to purchase their own music and repurchase the songs 3 times over or they will never get to listen to the songs I bought for them.

This is so unacceptable. I sent a Google Play feedback but to be honest I'll never buy another Google Play song again.

Amazon mp3 are just as inexpensive and I can copy all my Amazon purchases to as many Google Play accounts as I want to.

I've been a Google fan since the beginning, bought two G1 phones, two Nexus One phones, Nexus S phones and now have a Galaxy Nexus and HTC OneX. Everyone in the family has an Android tablet. But we can't even listen to the friggin music we purchased on our devices?

I'll continue to use the Google Services but sadly they won't make any money off of me anymore. Bums me out to say it.
  11. Demache

Blame DRM. I have no idea how Amazon managed it, but I'm sure it has a lot to do with the fact that record companies are above the law. They would legislate to no end to make what your doing a felony punishable by several million dollars.
  12. egernant

Can you give me a bit more info on what exactly you are doing? I went to settings, accounts, add google account, and then I input her credentials (all on my Galaxy Nexus). I then unchecked everything so her contacts / email / etc don't sync to my phone. To check that it worked, I went to Play Music and switched it over to her account. It got rid of my library and showed me hers instead.

Is this the correct process? How does doing those tell my Music Manager and Google Music account that our two accounts are linked? I am on my computer now and I copy the song into the My Music folder. I open music manager and it says it can't upload due to being from another play account. I'm logged in to Music Manager via my Play Account.

What am I doing wrong? Can you explain what you and your GF did?
  13. GandalfTehGray

GandalfTehGray Well-Known Member

I went back and read your first post, I missed a line the first time I read it and misunderstood your issue. I have not seen a solution for that problem that you are having. But video2mp3.com is nice, for all the old songs I purchased on itunes before they allowed all to be unlocked I just got from youtube. No way was i gonna pay extra for songs I paid for already.
  14. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Well-Known Member

That's strange, I'm sitting here listening to the same song on 3 different devices with no problems.
  15. zetroc

zetroc Well-Known Member

You do own the song, but you don't. You own the song under certain conditions and in most cases you own the right to listen to your music on the approved/supported mediums (devices, etc), but you don't actually own the track. So you can't actually do whatever you want with it. Another way of looking at it is that you own the license to the songs, but not the songs themselves. Plus, if you in fact had two accounts which you actually owned, then I would agree with you, you should be able to access it on both, but in this case you don't actually own both accounts. One is yours and one is your wife's, and sure there is no reason Google should know this, but the system isn't unfair, nor are you being cheated because you can't load the music your wife purchased on her account onto your account. In fact, Google is honoring the agreement as was agreed.

Not trying to antagonize, but just sharing what I understand of digital media purchases.

Anyone that knows this stuff better, please chime in :)
  16. Whitefokes

Whitefokes New Member

If you remove the id3 tag altogether, then add it back in, Google Play will allow you to upload.

As an example, using iTunes (after you've added your Google Play music to iTunes):

1)In Google Play Music Manger, disable automatic uploading (this is important... it'll upload songs without tag info if you leave this enabled)
    2)Select the songs in iTunes
    3)Right click and select "Convert ID3 tags"
    4)Check ID3 Tag version, Select "none," hit OK
    5)Repeat steps 3) and 4) selecting "v2.4" instead of none
    6)In Google Play Music Manger, enable automatic uploading

And the songs will upload... And there was much rejoicing... yay....
    ajamudc likes this.
  17. ajamudc

ajamudc Member

You, sir, are my new hero. I was having the same issue and this took care of it of me.