Google music sucking the life out of my battery!

Last Updated: 2013-02-19 19:21:32
  1. MtnbikerChk

MtnbikerChk Well-Known Member

OMG!

I uploaded all my music to the google music beta yesterday (pretty slick btw) and then I installed the android app to my d1 (rooted) and my husband's droid x 1 (not rooted).

BOTH are just draining right down to nothing! :eek: It shows up in my battery usage as #1 too!

and they are both fully sync'd so I don't know what process it's running that is using so much energy!

Anyone else?

Advertisement
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

I would guess the battery consumption comes from streaming the music back to your phone via 3G or WiFi. Is you phone getting warm, too? If you are getting drain even when you are not streaming music it is either a glitch in the app or a stuck process. Try rebooting the phone and if it continues, contact Google about it.
  3. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

One thing to remember it that it's beta -- and not the usual google perpetual beta, but beta in the sense that they are actually working out the kinks/bugs

:)

Anyways, moving this to media forum as a lot of people are already talking about Google Music over there and they can probably help :)
  4. tcat007

tcat007 Well-Known Member

I uploaded all my music, and now just use it for my home and work PC. I uninstalled from phone, mainly because it's not apps2SD and was taking up too much space. Didn't seem to drain battery any more than any other running app.
  5. thismirage

thismirage Member

The problem I'm having with Google music is that it's eating the battery hours after I stopped listening to it. I'll listen to it on my way to school, pause the player and 3 hours later it's still taking up around 50% of the battery.
  6. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

it seems they definitely have some bugs to work out
  7. cockbeard

cockbeard New Member

I think Pause isn't enough, I would install a datacounter to check whether it's constantly dragging info back
  8. partysauce

partysauce New Member

in the meantime, you can always disable data when you're not using it, or disable "background data" in settings -> accounts and sync
  9. fightingirish

fightingirish Well-Known Member

Seems like any streaming app (TuneIn, Pandora, IHeart, etc.) eats the battery even when not in use. Best bet is closing out completely or using a task killer.
  10. You can check the detail about the battery usage.
  11. unktv

unktv New Member

My Samsung Exhibit 4G worked perfectly.
    Used Amazon streaming till they wanted to charge money.
    After uploading 14,000 songs I installed the Google player app on my phone.
    It began to play, I began looking through menus and in 5 minutes the phone turned off.
    Ever since if the battery has 60% charge left and I try to access the web or do anything the phone shuts off, even after uninstalling the app.
    The phone monitor showed 11 hours left just before opening the browser.
    Most viruses are less destructive:mad:

Unk
  12. unktv

unktv New Member

My new battery arrived yesterday afternoon, as I went to replace the old one The battery popped out on it's own after opening case.
    The battery was swollen after Google music zapped it in 5 minutes.
    The new battery snapped right in.
    Anybody?

Unk
  13. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

That sounds like a defective and potentially dangerous battery. Did you buy it from a Chinese vendor or something?
  14. unktv

unktv New Member

Everything was perfect until downloading and running the Google music app.
    After witch the phone would not hold a charge and swollen battery discovered while replacing it.
    Phone had original Samsung factory equipped battery.

Unk
  15. ExtremeNerd

ExtremeNerd Well-Known Member

Google music comes stock on many devices now. Odds are good something was defective with your charger/battery/outlet rather than the app.

I've been using google play music on all of my devices with zero issues. Seems like a one-off problem with something else behind it.