Google Music, The iTunes Killer?

Last Updated:

1. umikun

umikun Banned This Topic's Starter

[​IMG]
    Sources are saying that Google really wants to have their music service up and running by this Christmas. The plans Google has are, to allow music downloads along with the streaming of music to rival Apple’s iTunes Store. Andy Rubin is said to be having conversations with the labels to let them know how the service will look and run. Talk was made at this years Google I/O conference about the service coming later this year, and here we are at the start of September and we still have not seen or heard of anything confirmed.

Supposedly, from two sources, we heard that Google was planning to release the service with the newest version of Android or when 3.0 comes out and it looks like things are right on course. Google, as of right now, has not signed with any labels to get started on the music service, but if they are planning to launch it by Christmas they should be getting some details ironed out soon. We hope it comes soon because this has been one of the things that Apple has had an advantage on, against Google for a while. It would help make the competition even that much more tough. Where is that import iTunes music library button going to be again?

Advertisement
  2. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

Killer? I don't think so. Competitor? Oh yea. iTunes has a 9 year head start and I think that's going to be tough to beat. But if there is anyone to do it that someone is definitely Google. Besides as long as it improves my Android experience I could care less how it stacks up to itunes.

3. TgeekB

TgeekB Well-Known Member

Why does everything have to be the "apple killer"? The market is still growing and there is plenty of room for competition. I'm sure google will do a great job and it will improve the experience on android devices.

jroc likes this.
  4. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Yea, everything doesnt have to be an Apple killer. If u notice, if u stay away from saying this or that is an iPhone, Apple killer....it kinda goes in that direction on its own if its a good product.

Its funny tho....I never wanted a Tablet, wanted a device like Apple TV or Google TV before...until I got immersed in the Android world...If I could find some decent alternatives to some apps I use on XP Pro, Linux might get a longer look as my main OS.

5. JAL

JAL Active Member

Sony is also rolling out their Music Unlimited service. I hear it will be accessible to Sony phones, TV's, Vaios, PSP, PS3, etc. I kind of feel like the online music source thing is just finally getting diluted after many years of iTunes being the It Girl of the industry. Which is a good thing.

Now, if Sony really, finally, puts out the fabled PSP Phone of dreams.... that could just become my one and only true love pocket device. :D

6. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

The Zune software is already better than iTunes (god, how I loathe iTunes), but it's languishing behind because Apple is so much more out in the open. But I think Google can handle that problem much better than Microsoft. But as for an iTunes killer, it won't take much, because iTunes sucks donkey.

7. Naterz

Naterz Member

Windows Phone 7 will put Zune back out in the open more.

It will even use the Zune Software to Sync Music, Video, etc. the way iOS devices use iTunes.

The thing I like about Zune is that it doesn't weigh as much as a Sperm Whale on Windows, and it doesn't try to take over your computer or install a bunch of sister applications (QuickTime, QuickTime Photo Viewer, "Let's change your file associations!", Apple Updater [seriously?! use Windows Update already!], etc.).

But yea, the Zune Software is better to use than iTunes, IMO. Of course, many others disagree. Having Windows Machines is the main reason why I don't get iOS devices, and I've switched off of AT&T recently because they aren't worth having unless you're getting an iPhone + their Android devices are locked down even more than their Windows Mobile devices were). Also tired of the ridiculous amount of crapware bloat they load into the phones' ROM images.

8. Talbot

Talbot Well-Known Member

it's all about advertising. Apple knows how to market their product very well.

9. droid928

droid928 Well-Known Member

I couldn't stand Itunes when I had my Ipod Touch. Plus, apple format music files suck. I've always used Amazon which has mp3s at 256kbps. I'm so glad I no longer use it and I'm never looking back.

10. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

I personally like MP4's a bit better, since they tend to be better quality. But its moot anyway because Android can play those as well.

11. droid928

droid928 Well-Known Member

True, it is about preference in what files you like to use. I never bought from Itunes bc of AAC, I just preferred Mp3. I've listened to AAC/Mp4 and Mp3's and I really didn't hear any better quality than the MP3's I've had.

12. BORIStheBLADE

BORIStheBLADE Well-Known Member

If they can make a software that will make the playlist like Itunes then it will be good. I like how with Itunes I can make smart playlist... Genre groupings and putting certain artist in the same playlist. Other than that theres noting much to it.

13. Snow_Fox

Snow_Fox Well-Known Member

I'm pulling for sony honestly.

My brothers walkman is a beastly little device.

Also.. although they don't have a music store.. gotta represent cowon for high quality media players.

Irony.. everyone loves ipods.. but, they have some of the worst quality... can't hold a candle to Walkman/Cowon..

14. plnelson

plnelson Well-Known Member

We have a 15000 track music collection and play it on 3 PC's, 3 iPods, and a Sonos system.

I haven't found any application that can organize, search, syncronize, sort, and edit music and tags as well as iTunes running on the PC. It's fast because it only has to process the XML library file, and since we keep that and the actual music files (all MP3 and non-DRM'ed m4a) on an NAS (HP Media Vault) which is up 24/7 we don't need to have any particular PC booted, to access or enjoy or edit our music.

What will Google offer that comes close to this?