Google Nav on the Droid Question.

Last Updated:

1. prerunnerseth

prerunnerseth Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, I tried out the Nav and so far have been pretty pleased with it. I don't need navigation all that often and I know it will get even better. The question I have is - Are there a certain level of base maps stored on the SD card of the device or do you have to have a data connection in order to use the Nav in any way?

I sold my Garmin but, realize now that the benefit of it is that i don't need to have a signal from a cell tower to use it.

Advertisement
  2. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

I've heard that it caches part of the map along your predetermined route, but doesn't save say, the whole country's map in storage. You definately need cell service to get the maps. There may be 3rd party maps you could permanently install, or see if G provides them.

3. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Well it doesn't have any maps pre stored, but when you are entering a new destination it will save that entire route so if you lose cellular service you won't lose your map. I have tested it out myself and it worked fine with no cell signal for over 12 miles.

4. prerunnerseth

prerunnerseth Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thats better than nothing I suppose. But, still not a good solid solution. I go up to my dads often and youre lucky to get basic voice service for miles up there. let alone data. I hope they realize this and atleast offer the option to store basic base maps for a region on your SD card. Its not like the garmin has a MASSIVE SD card either in order to store basic maps.