1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Google Nav struggling at rush hour

Last Updated:

1. samdale36

samdale36 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When ever I want to use Google nav at around 5pm it always struggles to find my location and/or directions. I have no idea if this is connected with the fact that it is rush hour but has anybody had this problem before.

It may be that the areas I am driving from have poor gps signal but I don't know why that would be.

Any help would be great.

Advertisement
  2. fletchem

fletchem Well-Known Member

It might well be that the cell towers are saturated with loads of people in the same location. The Desire uses the cell towers to perform a "dirty" triangulation for a rough location first prior to relying on GPS.

So location and direction downloads will be affected by a congested network.

3. Stucky

Stucky Well-Known Member

Yep - I wouldn't rely on it, especially in a snarl-up as everyone will be trying to do the same. And as Google Maps downloads the map as it goes, the local cell just gets overloaded. If you need a sat-nav that bad, you're better off with co-pilot or a dedicated unit.

4. GSMGuy

GSMGuy Well-Known Member

More than likely it's the 3g reception - try turning off the satelite layer, bet that does the trick..

I've found that when you drop from 3.5g/HSDPA to 3g/G then it really slows up as it's waiting for the map data...

Mike

5. Stucky

Stucky Well-Known Member

GSMGuy it'll make no difference - if the local cell is so saturated with users all trying to get data, then changing things will make no difference. I found this out when a major road had been closed due to an accident in rush hour. All around me in cars I could see people trying to find a way out on satnav - I got absolutely no data at all, not even to check email. Thankfully I had my TomTom with me and didn't have to rely on Google maps.