Google Nav struggling at rush hour

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by samdale36, Nov 7, 2010.

1. samdale36

samdale36 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2010
    When ever I want to use Google nav at around 5pm it always struggles to find my location and/or directions. I have no idea if this is connected with the fact that it is rush hour but has anybody had this problem before.

It may be that the areas I am driving from have poor gps signal but I don't know why that would be.

Any help would be great.

Advertisement

2. fletchem

fletchem Well-Known Member

May 13, 2010
    freelance
    UK
    It might well be that the cell towers are saturated with loads of people in the same location. The Desire uses the cell towers to perform a "dirty" triangulation for a rough location first prior to relying on GPS.

So location and direction downloads will be affected by a congested network.

3. Stucky

Stucky Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    Yep - I wouldn't rely on it, especially in a snarl-up as everyone will be trying to do the same. And as Google Maps downloads the map as it goes, the local cell just gets overloaded. If you need a sat-nav that bad, you're better off with co-pilot or a dedicated unit.

4. GSMGuy

GSMGuy Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    More than likely it's the 3g reception - try turning off the satelite layer, bet that does the trick..

I've found that when you drop from 3.5g/HSDPA to 3g/G then it really slows up as it's waiting for the map data...

Mike

5. Stucky

Stucky Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    GSMGuy it'll make no difference - if the local cell is so saturated with users all trying to get data, then changing things will make no difference. I found this out when a major road had been closed due to an accident in rush hour. All around me in cars I could see people trying to find a way out on satnav - I got absolutely no data at all, not even to check email. Thankfully I had my TomTom with me and didn't have to rely on Google maps.