• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Nav vs NavDroyd. Discuss.

Nagrom

Android Expert
May 28, 2010
Cheshire UK
Hi Boardies.

Okay so I've been using Google Nav for a while now, and it WAS flawless.

Till they changed the voice...... :(

Just discovered NavDroyd, and it looks pretty good.

Anyone used it? Which do you prefer, and why?

Answers on a post card, and send it to.

I hate the voice on Google Nav.
It's bloody awful Street.
Can't understand it Town.
Please advise on NavDroyd.
England

Or just post them here.

Thanks in advance

Andy.

Google nav all the way, regardless of voice. Google Nav actually has street addresses. Navdroid does not. At least for the areas I try to navigate to. Google Nav also shows you a picture of your destination, so you can see what you are looking for if you have never been there.

Oh and the Route calculation is about 90% better.

Upvote 0
Turn the voice off? What good is a navigation tool you can't hear? Talk about texting while driving, how about holding your phone and watching the map so you don't miss a turn. Nice suggestion.

But, other than that, is there a way to change the voice? My Google Nav has 2 voices and one I like; the other I don't like either.

TIA.

I installed SVOX US English Grace Voice to use with Google Nav, it's a more natural sounding female voice. There are other voices available and I think I had to pay something like $1 for it but I'm not sure because it was quite a while ago. There are other similar voice add-ons but this is the only one I know anything about.

Oh and regarding turning off the voice - if you have your phone in a cradle on your dash you wouldn't actually need to hear it, you could easily glance at the map while driving & be safe. But personally I'd rather hear the voice prompts & not have to look at the map as frequently.

Upvote 0
SVOX? I've not heard of it. I'll check it out.

One of the supplied Google Voices is a very nice voice, and I do prefer female voice. Maybe it's because you just can't trust a guy to have asked enough to know where he's going. :)

@VMPhil: Please forgive the harshness of my first paragraph... Too little sleep and too many pain killers lately.

@PattiCakeUS: I do have a dash cradle, but still prefer never to look if I can help it. Mainly because I have cataract implants which means I can't focus my eyes and would have to put glasses on to read the small-ish text on my phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones