Google nav vs. VZW nav

Last Updated:

1. Slingshot

Slingshot Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am using VZ nav right now on my S1 until I get my X. Has anyone used VZ nav think Google nav on the X is better or worse, or no difference?

Advertisement
  2. mattstud36

mattstud36 Well-Known Member

I haven't used the Google Nav, but the Verizon Nav is pretty tettible

3. Izl

Izl Member

I really like Google Nav. It is powered by google maps, which is amazing itself. I've used VZ nav on a non-smartphone, and didn't think it was anywhere near as cool as G Nav. Things like streetview and the amazing speed make it an awesome experience.

Slingshot likes this.
  4. Kadgarth

Kadgarth Active Member

Google Nav is amazing, especially considering its free.

My only complaint is the gigantic amount of battery power it uses.

5. ericnail

ericnail Well-Known Member

Vzw nav works but gives the impression you're using a phone navigator. With that said, google nav makes you feel as if you have a world class nav in your hands.

Just my $0.02

6. Kadgarth

Kadgarth Active Member

Oh, and Google Nav is free.

7. Ringhale

Ringhale Well-Known Member

Forgive me if I'm mistaken but I have been told that VZ Nav will alert you to traffic problems such as accidents or backup while Google maps does not.. is this correct?

8. pdk

pdk Member

Love the Google NAV, my only beef with it is that it doesn't dim at night like my others I've had. Guess just need to turn down the brightness, but would be nice if it did it by itself. Love the street veiw, makes it very easy to identify stuff easier..

9. Araxen

Araxen Well-Known Member

My only complaint with Google Nav is the voice and I wish I could change it, but other than that it's pretty terrific.

10. 2009m6

2009m6 Well-Known Member

write your concerns in google maps comment section. there is a pretty good chance they will add it if you make some noise

11. Kadgarth

Kadgarth Active Member

Google Nav won't alert you of traffic issues, but google maps the color coded roads. I just refuse to pay for VZW apps.

12. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

Google nav is free so thats a big plus. It has gotten me out of a pinch multiple times where vzw nav would take forever and was pretty awful IMO

13. Izl

Izl Member

Mine didn't necessarily dim, but the white area around the road did turn grey; I thought that was cool, and it does give the same effect.

14. CarsMatic

CarsMatic Active Member

I just used it today and was very impressed. The first thing I noticed was that the animation was much smoother than VZ Nav's version. As far as the traffic warnings... I never found it useful. It would always tell me there was traffic ahead and there wasn't. And like what others have already stated, I don't know why ANYONE would go out and spend money on a GPS system when you have a great free one already installed.

My only two suggestions for google is to add the auto brightness for the screen and make the volume for the voice commands louder. I had it all the way up but it was a little hard to hear with the AC blasting in this 110

15. CarsMatic

CarsMatic Active Member

I just used it today and was very impressed. The first thing I noticed was that the animation was much smoother than VZ Nav's version. As far as the traffic warnings... I never found it useful. It would always tell me there was traffic ahead and there wasn't. And like what others have already stated, I don't know why ANYONE would go out and spend money on a GPS system when you have a great free one already installed.

My only two suggestions for google is to add the auto brightness for the screen and make the volume for the voice commands louder. I had it all the way up but it was a little hard to hear with the AC blasting in this 110

16. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

Google Nav, it's free!

17. pdk

pdk Member

Did you have the satellite view or the "normal" NAV view? I had the satellite so that may have been it.

18. dyno

dyno Well-Known Member

I used Google maps nav today and it was very good. I have OEM stock navigation in my car, and the google version is much easier to understand and the interface is nicer to look at.