1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Google Nav: What happens if you drive through dead spot?

Last Updated:

1. phositadc

phositadc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've used Google Nav a few times and I like it. However, I live in an area where I never lose service.

What happens if you are on a long road trip and you drive through a small area (say a mile or two) where you lose service? Does Google Nav continue to work, or does it die until you get back into a service area?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. drowe

drowe Well-Known Member

There are no dead spots with Verizon ;-)

It will stop updating the map until you get a signal again. Once you get a signal, it will jump to right where you are and continue with your trip.

David

3. phositadc

Cool, so presumably if it has downloaded enough map already to get you through the dead spot, you would not even notice any interruption of navigation service?

4. gk_jam

gk_jam New Member

Yes, and as a rule it downloads the map for the entire trip when it sets up the routing at the start, so you should be covered as long as you don't veer off the map. But, if you divert from the route, it can't recalculate or display maps areas that weren't part of the initial route until you regain service.

phositadc likes this.
  5. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

If you have a route programed into google nav, it should download the whole route right away so if you run into a dead spot you shouldn't have any interruption. If you go off the route and it tries to recalculate while you are in a dead spot then it wouldn't work.

phositadc likes this.
  6. phositadc

Ah, now that is very helpful to know. Thanks (and to the second poster, too)!

7. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

Right. Google Nav is great for around town. But nothing beats a GPS device if going on a long trip.
    I drove from California to Arkansas and went through parts of Texas and ALL of Oklahoma without VZ Navigator (it's what I had at the time before my Eris) Nothing but roaming....
    Fortunately, it was all one long highway :D

On a different note (without starting a new thread)

Why does the voice instructions not work through bluetooth? Only works if I'm in a call then goes back to speaker.

Anyone else have this problem?