Google Navigation Not Saying Street NamesSupport

1. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

Is it possible because of the voice module you're using? I have SVOX Grace.
  2. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

I noticed yesterday I had no street names and was wondering wtf was going on. Uninstalled the latest update, and spoken street names are back.

It seems a lot of SGN owners are reporting this problem in the Market reviews - might be an ICS bug.
  3. red66charger

red66charger Well-Known Member

Has this issue been addressed by any of the mobile tech blogs? I'm on the AF app so I can't tip this to Phandroid. It would be nice to get something official from Google on this.

It sure wouldn't hurt if Google stepped up their outreach a little. How are we to know if it's a bug or intentional?
  4. Stigy

Stigy Some say... VIP Member

iron_city and red66charger like this.
  5. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

6. Flipper44

Flipper44 Active Member

7. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Well-Known Member

Sounds like they're saying that you have to wait til official 4.0.4 to fix it. Don't know if I believe that or not.

How does one go about installing another voice-- assuming everything else was working correctly?
  8. boiler662

boiler662 Member

Has anyone else experienced horrible directions over the last month or so? It is getting to the point where it tells me to drive past my destination do a U turn and come back when all I had to do was make a left into the destination. It has also been routing me way out of the way last week it added at least five miles to a trip when a more direct route would have been easier to take.

This would not be a big deal but having just moved it is extremely annoying.
  9. john30308

john30308 Well-Known Member

From the Google forum:

cindych[​IMG] [​IMG]Post reply
    [​IMG]

1:02 PM (4 hours ago)
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for reporting your issue with release 6.6.

Our team is working to investigate this issue. Please answer the following question if possible:

1. Where is there locale on your phone. Go into Google Maps>Menu>Settings>About and look at your Locale. (i.e. en_US) and tell us what that says.

2. Please check that text-to-speech is working on your phone. You can do so by checking if an app like Google Translate (which they can download from Google Play) can playback text or by going to Settings > Language & input > Text-to-speech output > Listen to an example.

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]3. Also are you experiencing this issue in all areas? Or just in areas where you have poor network/data connection?[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    5. Lastly if you have not done so, please let us know what version your on for Android (i.e. 4.0.2, 4.0.4, etc).
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    Thanks! This information will help us investigate what's going on, and thanks for your patience. Once I get some responses, I'll report back to the team and provide updates as soon as they are available.

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Cheers,[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Cindy[/FONT]
  10. Flipper44

Flipper44 Active Member

They obviously haven't been reading the Thread for days, nor the feedback in the Play store for weeks
  11. zebug

zebug Well-Known Member

so how do you uninstall an update and not the whole app?
  12. john30308

Z, Settings - Apps - select "Maps" - top right of screen "Uninstall Updates"
    zebug likes this.
  13. Stigy

Stigy Some say... VIP Member

14. iron_city

iron_city Well-Known Member

Updating now; won't be able to test it until later.
  15. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

Reportedly, TTS is still broken in Maps 6.7.
  16. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Well-Known Member

Yup still broken...
  17. Fromako

Fromako Member

I'm not sure how you've determined that it's "still broken". It announced the street names for me.
  18. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Well-Known Member

I determined it still broken because it is not announcing street names for me...
  19. batwings1

batwings1 Well-Known Member

So, I uninstalled the updates a few days ago to get the street names back but I have noticed that the Maps app is now eating a lot of battery since I unistalled the updates even though it is not being used and GPS is off. Anyone else see this?
  20. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

Not seeing any battery issues on Maps 6.0.1.
  21. batwings1

batwings1 Well-Known Member

I installed the updates again and the Maps battery drain issue went away. Would rather deal with no street names than increased battery drain.
  22. john30308

Until they fix this, I'm going to try WAZE. Anybody else using this??
  23. ohmyhead

ohmyhead Well-Known Member

I'll take a loss in street names over what it was doing last time! Namely, it (she) was reading the XML code!

"Slash slash colon w w w dot blahblah dot com slash" etc. It was INSANE! lol I have a British babe doing my nav thing via SVOX and the whole situation has been nothing but a pain in the ass. And now, Google has broken a pretty important feature of a Google phone. With a Google update. Of a Google app.

And I too have intermittent changing of voices. From the British babe to the standard robot directional ho to a really super-sexy American woman who only very occasionally tells me to turn right in 500 feet or some such thing. Wish I could get her to talk all the time. ANYway, I must have my Brit babe back saying street names! She butchers so many of them, it's hilarious. Sexy and hilarious.

What in the wide wide world of sports is a-goin' ON here!
  24. rivera02

rivera02 Well-Known Member

Thread bump...anyone find a solution without uninstalling the updates?
  25. john30308

Nope. It's an issue that Google is aware of and working on.
    rivera02 likes this.