• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Navigation Offline

pbf98

Android Expert
Oct 16, 2011
MN
I know you can download portions of maps in google maps, but is it possible to just save a navigation path?

I'm running low on my data and I am taking a trip which I need to use my gps for but don't want to use my data to do so.. So is there an easier way than to save all the small chunks of map that lead to my destination?

I have used the hotel wifi to plot my route in Maps then just followed it with mobile data off.

Obviously, there's no re-routing so if you divert from the route, you're kinda on your own .. BUT, if leave the phone alone and manage to get back to the route, it does pick up from there.

While I was away a few weeks ago I tried using OsmAnd. It worked, but I found the interface pretty poor and hard to use. You kinda get used to decent search functions for finding destinations and it just doesn't have them, plus the voicing was well dodgy. Don't get me wrong: it got me there, but it does make you really appreciate Maps ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones