• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Navigation on Eris w 2.1

droid, don't get too excited. It's just a bunch of "OTD, please be my girlfriend," with the response, "OTD could be a really ugly, fat chick with an attractive avatar...get a life," with the chime in from OTD, "I'm not into guys...and btw, I'm not fat or ugly."

Whats wrong with asking a girl on a forum to be your girlfriend based on her avatar? Thats how I met my wife. Well, she is my wife, but we still havent met. Now that I think about it, she could be a guy or a fat chic. Anyone know a good divorce lawyer? I dont want her to get half my thanks from this forum. I worked hard for them.

Reactions: ERISLOVER
Upvote 0
Came here looking for Navi chat, but instead got this instead. So far disappointed. Anyone even know where the voice folder is for the app?

So sorry we disappointed you. It is a forum there is topic drift, it happens.:rolleyes:

As far as I know there isn't a voice folder. If I understand the way it is working correctly, the voice to speech program is reading the directions to you.

Upvote 0
So sorry we disappointed you. It is a forum there is topic drift, it happens.:rolleyes:

As far as I know there isn't a voice folder. If I understand the way it is working correctly, the voice to speech program is reading the directions to you.

These all in one programs. I miss those days of simple audio folders where they would just use the audio samples from the folder when needed.

Upvote 0
These all in one programs. I miss those days of simple audio folders where they would just use the audio samples from the folder when needed.

I actually like the way they set it up. No need for extra files junking up the phone, just nice and simple. It actually reads many of the street names better than stand alone GPS units do too.

Upvote 0
I don't think a majority of people are using the Google Nav to replace a dedicated PND.

It is VERY nice though to be out somewhere, need directions or your location and be able to pull it up on your phone.

I've found myself doing it more that I would have thought...

What I've found about the Google Nav and 2.1 in general is how one can mesh several apps that provide ready info and access to a myiad of services. For example; my wife and I are planning a trip in a couple of weeks to Colonial Williamsburg.

I have been able to set up one entire screen for contact information such as Hertz, motel, transit stations, attractions to see, etc. With this information I'll be able to make phone calls, get turn by turn directions, etc.

I also use the TripIt app to access all my reservations, travel connections, rentals, and even itineraries of our daily activities. The Where and Google Places apps will come in handy as well. Even though some PND's can do most of these things I don't think a PND can do as much or do it as well as the Eris. So it's not just the Nav app but how you can utilize all the apps available to you depending on a particular activity.

Upvote 0
I'll tell you I went from a Dare to the Droid to the Eris. And honestly the only reason I went from droid to eris was the form factor and I was told at the store 2.x would be out anyday (this was October) the first few months with no Nav really irritated me . I loved my VZNavigator on my Dare used it everyday and when I got the Droid REALLY like Google Nav then getting the Eris and not having Nav just Google maps really sucked.
Now that I have 2.1 and mainly Google Nav I'm extremely happy and it works flawlessly even when hooked up thru my car listening to Slacker or Pandora and the ocassional text or email. It's amazing

Upvote 0
I just installed the 2.1 leak last night. I used the Navigation feature twice today and it was way off. Google apparently hasn't mapped out Louisville very well. Actually one destination was way off the other was close but kept telling me to turn left when it was on the right. At least it would have got me close enough that I could have found where I was headed if I didn't already know. Since it was off a little, I decided to use it to find my second stop (which I also knew the location of). I followed the directions for kicks and grins when they started to go awry and ended up about a mile and a half from where I needed to be. I was a little disappointed with that. I asked the lady at the desk when I finally got there (no thanks to google nav) how long they had been at that location and she said for at least 8 years. How much do you think google will charge me for a map upgrade?

Upvote 0
I didn't see a thread for Google Navigation. I tested it on the Eris and it's fantastic. I stopped by the VZW store and picked up the Body Glove case for the Eris which works with the Moto Droid Mount/Case combo. The downside is that the Moto Droid mount/case combo is $30 and the Body Glove for the Eris is also $30. If you have a Moto Droid you get both for $30. With the 25% discount I get through my company, it came to $45+tax, which isn't bad at all.

It works like a charm for mounting the Eris like any GPS and it destroys my Tom Tom One 3rd Generation, which I got back in 2007. I haven't tried to voice search for it yet.

Yea the navigation is pretty dam amazing. It destroyed my uncles garmin & my friends tom tom haha. My friend used his tom tom & I used the navi to get down to dinky town (which is in minnesota) for a party me an my boys were going to. And my friends tom tom led is in a totally wrong area lmao. Thank god my Eris saved us :)

Upvote 0
Hey All - new to Android, coming over from Windows Mobile - did the 2.1 update over the weekend and immediately used the Navigator for a trip to a kids birthday party - it got me close, but was about a mile or so off, and unfortunately, not in a part of town where you want to be lost - after a few tense minutes, got myself oriented and my daughter got to meet Cinderella - subsequent tests of the accuracy have been stellar, so I'm not overly concerned -

One thing that I did notice yesterday - I was testing the Navigator on my way to work - my car stereo is bluetooth enabled, and my Eris was connected - I noticed that I was getting no audio from the Navigator, then realized that the Eris was sending the audio out as bluetooth audio signal, which is cool i guess, but I can't listen to radio and bluetooth audio at the same time, two different inputs. Weird thing was, when I got out of my car, all audio on the phone had been muted, like it was still connected to a bluetooth device - I didn't notice it until I looked at my phone and saw some missed calls - phone never rang - tried to play a YouTube clip, but again no audio -had to reboot the phone to get things back to normal -

And so ends my very first Android Forums post - I'm a HUGE Android convert and really appreciate the level of input from the regulars on these forums - thanks in advance for your help -

Upvote 0
Am I the only one that caught this? OTD has a girlfriend? Can we start a new request forum just for pics of you guys? ;)

But on a serious note, I agree with your better half, Im waiting for you guys to find all the bugs as well before upgrading or waiting for OTA but I really want the Nav feature since my new car no longer has it.

We already knew...

Upvote 0
Used Google Navigator a couple times with excellent results, but when I tried it today to get to a meeting in downtown Los Angeles it was an epic fail. I had the right address and everything, but it took me down through a ridiculous network of crazy ass streets up in the Hollywood hills and got so out of control I wound up switching the damn thing off and getting there using my own wits. Funny thing is it that the address I used today was modified from an identical one I'd used last month (only had to switch the building number from 4100 to 9100) but it was totally useless. Same thing when I reversed it to come home too. Not sure where the disconnect was, but it sure sucked and put a definite dent in my Google Nav love affair.

:(

Upvote 0
My two cents are that given decent GPS Sat access, Google Nav works quite well. Almost spot on....was within 20 ft of being totally accurate. The one thing I do wish I had was to save location bookmarks so I could easily snag em and Nav to em in the future. There are a number of apps that can essentially link in to Nav (e.g. Where) and allow you to save bookmarks/favorites for physical buildings and such like restaurants. What I'd like is a way to save faves based solely on GPS location with no regards to what physical structures may or may not be in the area. Anyone have any suggestions?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones