Google Navigation Problems

Last Updated:

1. Anthony0822

Anthony0822 New Member

Jun 29, 2010
    New Jersey
    I use my Droid Google navigation for work. Up to 6 on-site calls a day. My location on Google Maps is usually accurate to 4 meters. Today as i was driving in rural area, using GNav, I noticed that it was showing my location about 100 feet to my right. Looked like i was driving on grass. I thought maybe its the area. (South NJ) I restarted my phone but it continued for most of the day. Even when I was driving on the same highway I always drive on. It puts me on streets thats to the right of me. It keeps rerouting thinking I'm on those streets. I used my tricorder app to see satellites signals. :D I'm not sure how many i'm supposed to pickup. I'm seeing about 5-6 SAT. Anyone knows why my GPS or GNav is screwed up? Could it be a hardware problem?

Much Appreciated
  2. bwinterton

bwinterton Member

Mar 4, 2010
    that could potentially be a hardware issue or it is mis-calibrated. Are you rooted? are you running a custom rom? these things could have an effect. Other than that I don't know. Mine is right on. I usually get 7-8 satellites however, this could be the difference? What is your margin of error on the gps when you are traveling?
  3. GlassJoe

GlassJoe Active Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I don't really know what the cause is but I've seen this happen with all of the top GPS company's devices. I think it has less to do with your phone and more to do with the process that GPS navigation uses itself.
  4. Doachen

Doachen New Member

Jul 26, 2010
    San Francisco
    I have problems with my google maps and navigation. I was in Golden Gate Park (SF) when I was trying to get it to locate my location and it told me I was in outer sunset and the second attempt it told me I was somewhere near the cliff house in ocean beach. I just recently gotten the droid and I haven't done any customizations of any kind to the phone.
  5. supersaki

supersaki Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    I've had this happen to me once as well. I was on the highway but it thought I was on the service road. It kept rerouting telling me to take the service ramp onto the highway and was quite annoying. It cleared itself up after a little while on its own.
  6. stedrocklp

stedrocklp Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    I have heard that rotating your phone on its three axis' will reset the sensor in your phone. It could surely be B.S. but it has worked for me before. Also, when I have mis-location issues I open gps status (APP) and it seems to pinpoint my location much better and quicker which in turn will make it so gMaps is dead-on. I havent had issues with gps being that far off ever but the best I can get is six foot accuracy and that is with seven plus satelites locked on. Just my $.02 GL
  7. Jpeluso8

Jpeluso8 Active Member

Jul 15, 2010
    ive been having this weird GPS navigation problem with the droid x where the map screen keeps going off, (voice turn by turns still work) but map with illustrations of driving directions stop working..
  8. binarypower

binarypower New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    This happens whenever the gps cannot lock onto a signal, the phone tries to triangulate your location using cell phone towers/skyhook wifi ssid. not as accurate as gps but at least it gets close.

This has happened to me a few times, a quick reboot has fixed it... sounds like it could be software/hardware from what your experiencing though...
  9. _Jroid

_Jroid Member

Aug 10, 2010
    google maps/ navigation was annoying me for awhile. I went to pittsburgh last weekend, and was using my phone as navigation, and it would take me allllll over the city, like 10+ minutes of driving for like 3 blocks up the road that should have taken like 2 minutes. I wasnt rooted at the time.
  10. redryder

redryder Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I have been using the car windshield mount holder / charger.

To the point...... Navigation worked fine for the first hour of use then the Map froze and I had gone 40 miles up I-190 to the end before figuring this out. I powered down, went back to home page, re-opened nav and it worked for around 15 minutes before freezing again. Then it froze after 5-6 minutes.

Called VZW yesterday and was told the best thing is to do a hard reset back to factory fresh, lose all added apps, back up contacts.

Back to the GPS Navigation..... After the hard reset, the map doesn't freeze, it just disappears after 15 minutes which is about the time it takes for the phone to get good and warm. Now I don't have to shut the phone off but I go straight to apps and select Navigation again and the map comes back and picks up where it should. Now it stays on for just about 5 minutes. Also, when the map disappears, the guide voice keeps talking but not loud enough to understand it most of the time.

I descibed this to VZW this afternoon and they said go to a store and pick up a new X. Got there and you guessed it.... no X's in stock. They ordered one shipped to my home.

I'm not sure if this was necessary but it seemed to be consistently related to the phone heating up. First time after about 15 minutes then about every five minutes.
  11. eXsoR

eXsoR Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Google Navigation is in Beta. Meaning it's still under testing for bugs. So it's not the phone fault.

Make sure Google maps is up-to-date. If you still have problem then goto Verizon and explane whats going on.
  12. john30308

john30308 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    I've had the same exact thing happen to me once about 2 months ago. A reboot fixed it and it's never repeated.
    cyaiphone likes this.