Google navigation questions

Last Updated:

1. hmadsen

hmadsen Active Member This Topic's Starter

I am going to Thailand in a month on holiday and wanted some sort of navigation.

Asked ALK if their copilot had maps for Thailand but they said that it did not so i wont buy that.

But what about google navigation, does it have maps for Thailand ? If yes, can i download these in advance as i fear that i might be royally robbed by my telco if i download them down there :)

Oh yeah and finally offcourse...Is it at all possible that HTC would be able to pull their finger out and release the apparantly needed new rom before i leave ?

Alternative solutions are welcome.. (Alternative = Alternative ways of using my hero, not "Buy this and that device it has thai maps etc etc")

Thanks in advance.

Hmadsen

Advertisement
  2. peterc10

peterc10 Well-Known Member

I use Sygic Mobile Maps. I find it very good for Europe.

Their website reports that their South East Asia maps include Thailand.

And AFAIK Google nav, just like Google maps, downloads the maps via the data link on your phone - so yes you will be stung big time will data roaming charges I think

3. bemymonkey

bemymonkey Active Member

Does Google even have decent maps of Thailand? I'm thinking about getting a prepaid local SIM the next time I visit, and I'd love to be able to use Google Maps and/or navigation...

4. regn

regn Member

No:

www. google. com
    support
    mobile
    bin/answer.py?hl=de&answer=172221&topic=25480

5. regn

regn Member

coming back from Thailand now i can say: google maps are available, navigation not.

The maps are good in cities, but on countryside not good, also difficult to see in the bright sun light, because small roads are white with grey background.

But maps are very helpful when you come into a new city and like to know where you are, because GPS works!