amg_1969 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I have an unbranded unaltered HTC Desire

Android Version 2.2

Baseband Version 32.43.00.32U_5.09.00.20

Kernel Version 2.6.32.15-gf9c0527 htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

Build number 2.09.405.8 CL218634 release-keys

Software number 2.09.405.8

Where do I start, bought it from CPW in May, no issues, no problems no reboots. Upgraded to Froyo last week and its doing my head in. I use the Google Navigation a lot, problem is now it keeps rebooting. Today I entered an address and it gained then lost GPS reception, took ages to get it back, then when it did it only lasted a few minutes then rebooted the Desire. I restarted navigation and it may pick up GPS then few seconds later reboot itself again, drove me nuts, to the point where I gave up and used OVI maps on my Nokia.

On the way home 120 mile journey, entered the address and navigation was ok for about 20 minutes then it kept rebooting. Occasionally it would navigate for a couple of minutes then reboot itself, this again drove me nuts.

I then tried to eliminate possibilities and drove 1 hour with the Desire and Google maps on, but not navigating i.e just showing my movement on the road, I kept scrolling the screen to make sure the arrow was always shown, it worked faultless, no reboots data was downloading ok to form the route maps.

I then put the navigation back on, and low and behold started rebooting and loosing GPS reception. This is driving me mad, as I need the navigation, everything else works ok with no issues.

Is anyone else having any problems? HTC deny there is any known faults on the Desire, I am not going to put up with this, it is not fit for purpose. I think it must be software not hardware, but I am not sure, any help advice gratefully received.

Andrew

Advertisement
  2. amg_1969

Bump ^

Andrew

3. neilgarr

neilgarr Active Member

yea mate same here, lasts 20 mins at most before rebooting. not good !!

4. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

try uninstalling google maps (or at least the update), then reinstalling(reupdating)

5. amg_1969

Tried that, and it didn't work. Done another factory reset, seems to be holding out, but not been in the car navigating yet.

6. amg_1969

It will have to go back to HTC, this is doing my head in had three reboots in the last 10 minutes. This is all since the Froyo update, before that it was fine.:mad:

7. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

shot in the dark, but not using a task killer are you?

8. amg_1969

No. The only app loaded onto the Desire is Google Maps, HTC suggested I give Nav4all a go, stopped working nearly 12 months ago !!!:mad:

9. neilgarr

neilgarr Active Member

i tried using google navigation without the power lead plugged in & it worked without any issues. As soon as i plugged the power lead in the phone began to overheat & it started rebooting within 5 mins of using navigation, do you find the same? Could it be a charger issue?

10. amg_1969

I have given up, several factory resets, thought I had cracked it yesterday, but last night just picking up the Desire from a table sent it into relentless reboots, had to take the battery out to stop it. I have noticed when on the charger it does get hotter, but I have given up and just packaged up to go back to HTC for repair, the CPW did not want to know, that's the last

11. Elsie

Elsie Active Member

I am suffering the exact same issue.

Google maps + navigation on battery = crash after 10 minutes
    Google maps + navigation on power supply = crash after 2 minutes

I get other crashes (i.e. using the browser or media player) if charging. The back of the Desire gets very warm, some might say hot, particularly when using Google Maps. My theory is that out of the box these would work OK but the more we use them, the more heat has been generated and the more problems we're now getting.

I did try uninstalling the Google Maps updates (on my Orange 2.1 phone) you can't actually uninstall Maps but when I did this it broke HTC Sense and I had to reset the home screens to get it back.

Mine is now so bad that I can't use the navigation at all; it's simply not worth the aggro of the phone crashing. We all know that using Maps, GPS and 3G at the same time is a battery killer which is why you don't use it in the car without a charger but if I plug the charger in the phone overheats and crashes.

Annoyed does not do justice to how I feel.

12. DaddyCee

DaddyCee Well-Known Member

13. Cucumber

Cucumber New Member

This is correct. CPW have an obligation to you under the Sale of Goods Act 1979. The key time period under this act is 6 months - as you bought the phone in May is is absolutely CPW's responsibility to fix or replace this for you. Google "Sale of Goods Act" - there are loads of sites out there that outline your rights as a consumer in laymans terms. Here's one example that's relevant to your situation: It?s NOT the manufacturer?s responsibility | Consumer Information

14. troyf

troyf New Member

9 months later, same issue... HTC Desire, update to Froyo, Google "Navigator" runs for a few minutes (1 - 45) and then crashes, forcing a reboot... sometimes the gmail password for the market access is lost. Anyone solved this? Troy. #

15. keithjhenson

keithjhenson New Member

Yes I am having the same issues with maps after Froyo upade. I did try putting the aircon as low as it would go and blast it out of the vent that the desire sits in front of on the dash and it worked fine for the whole 2hrs of the journey. Whilst this might be ok in summer it'll be no joke in the winter! Anyhow that seems to indicate its an overheating problem with the processor rather than software I think?

16. troyf

troyf New Member

United States Cellular replaced mine with this issue, said it was a "known issue". Resolved the issue.
    Troy.
    #