Google navigator is the businessTips

Last Updated:

1. GordonEndersby

GordonEndersby Active Member This Topic's Starter

I used google navigator as comes with Android 2.1 today for the first time.
    Its very good and seems to be very accurate. Voice instructions were clear and easy to understand. When I took a known shortcut and went off the prescribed route it immediately updated and adapted to the new route.

Who needs to spend a ton on a purpose built gps system when this comes for free on a smartphone. Google are goingto put the purpose built manufacturers out of business.

Just remember to plug it in to the charger in your car as the battery is soon run down.

Gordon

Advertisement
  2. RemArcs

RemArcs Well-Known Member

I mainly agree. It is a very very good app for free. However there is a bit of a lag due to gps positioning and as a professional driver some of the directions are a bit late. I don't know if all sat navs are like this as i don't own one.

1 point I found is I was listening thru a headset (as I was listening to music at the same time) but then had a phone call. The directions did not mute.

All in all its very good.

3. alsoran

alsoran Well-Known Member

you are so right,the maps are the biz also,now if i could get the voice to come thru my bt,any suggestions out there?

4. peterc10

peterc10 Well-Known Member

Depends what bluetooth device you are using. Sounds from Google Nav (and all other sat nav programmes) use the A2DP BT profile. A standard car kit uses the handsfree BT profile for phone calls. So you need a BT car kit that has the A2DP profile as well.

My built in Bury car kit works well with navigation apps, turning off the car audio when I get a phone call or a sat nav instruction. But it is not cheap to buy (mine was because it was in the car when I bought it).