Google News and Weather widget (Genie)?Support

Last Updated:

1. dshay

dshay Active Member This Topic's Starter

... is not available on the phone (Droid X). Yeah sure there are motoblurry widgets, but I kind of liked the Google one - slim and handy. I downloaded a copy of GenieWidget.apk but it wouldn't install - not sure if I picked a bad copy or what - anyone else have any luck here?

Advertisement
  2. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

I used this .apk on my HTC Incredible.

My Droid X comes tomorrow, so I haven't tested it. I hope it's ok to post this here.

I sure hope it works. I really liked it.

Attached Files:

3. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

I used GW on my Dinc. I liked it enough. It's google news and weather, basically. I have it on my PC. I may get around to trying it on my X.

4. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

The Motoblur widgets have the full screen previews I prefer. I just have not found topic search.

5. dshay

That file worked OK. Odd - I took the one off my Droid. Thought this was a stock 2.1 widget now, though... I guess with MotoBlur and this UI they not only add, they delete too?

6. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

anyone have the APK for the HTC clock/weather widget?

7. anaphora68

anaphora68 Well-Known Member

There is no APK for the HTC clock and weather widget. Closest thing is something called Fancy Widget.

HTC locks their software down tight. It's integrated into Sense.

8. pknight99

pknight99 New Member

I have the Droid X and I really want the stock Android 2.1 News and Weather widget. I have tried multiple times from multiple sites downloading and renaming the Geniewidget.apk and running it on my X but neither astro or OI can load the apk file. Does anyone have any ideas for me. I like having the news and weather all in one like it is in this widget, I wish Motorola would have just left the UI alone.

Thanks,

9. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Got my X yesterday and I can also confirm this works.

10. dshay

The one in the second post (lexluthor) worked for me. Just need to enable install from unknown sources. Still getting used to some of the UI - has it's ups and downs. Some of the widgets are nice. Wish they wouldn't have messed with the existing Facebook integration from stock.

11. pknight99

pknight99 New Member

Interesting, I tried again and it always says could not open geniewidget.apk as APK file. I have the enable install from unknown sources set. The only difference is I am running Helix Launcher, I don't think that would cause an issue. Am I doing something wrong? I am using Astro and then choosing Open App Manger. With OI File manager, I get there is a problem parsing the package.

12. pknight99

pknight99 New Member

The problem was the file. I found the file on a different site and all went well.

Thanks,

13. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Anyone who has had this a while noticed this isn't really working as well as it used to? Top Stories was once well populated, but the past few weeks there's been maybe one or two only in there, sometimes none. Not sure if it's something to do with this widget now coming automatically with Froyo and it the servers are talking correctly to that one but not the old ones. I have version 1.1.7 RC6 and 1.2.02 RC2 but both exhibit the same behavior.

14. Trixie

Trixie Member

Thank you for posting this. Unfortunately, my Xperia mini pro says its not a supported format, although I have allowed non-market apps and have downloaded them successfully before.