Google nexus 7 replacement screenSupport

1. knan2012

knan2012 New Member

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me where to buy a replacement screen for my Google Nexus 7.

The screen is cracked, I contacted Google Play and they refer me to Asus, then Asus said it is out of warrant so you have to pay to repair it.

The starting fee for an out of warranty repair is 75 Euro. The costs for labour, handling, shipping and VAT will be added to this starting fee.

Does anyone knows where I can buy the screen please.

Many thanks

Advertisement
    :
  2. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Hello knan2012, welcome to AF! Sorry to hear of your Tablet troubles. I haven't seen anywhere personally, but I moved your thread to the Nexus 7 forum, so the people in there will see and answer your thread. Thanks for joining up! :)
  3. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

the screen costs about $170 US. The N7 cost $200 US.
  4. Turbojoe

Turbojoe Well-Known Member

That $170.00 figure is for parts and labor from ASUS. Like knan2012 and many others with cracked screens we're hoping to find the replacement screens hit the market for a reasonable price so we can make the repairs rather than toss it in the trash or sell it for parts at a huge loss. I've already bought another N7 and am trying to prep the broken one for sale on ebay but I'd honestly rather keep it so I have one at home and one at work....

Joe
  5. val88

val88 Well-Known Member

Found this site through iFixit.com. Appears they sell N7 parts. The LCD is listed for $130 USD.
    Google Nexus 7 LCD and Digitizer Assembly
    Turbojoe likes this.
  6. adi19956

adi19956 Well-Known Member

It probably doesn't help the OP because he/ she is in Europe, but I found this website offering repairs in the US (link removed by mod, Jan 13, 2013 by request of site, they no longer offer the service)
    Unfortunately you have to email them for a quote so I don't know how much it is.

@OP 75€ doesn't sound bad seeing as Asus are charging $170 in the US.

I found a [​IMG]variety of touch screen panels on Ebay, but whether they'll work is questionable
    Turbojoe likes this.
  7. Turbojoe

Thanks guys. That's awesome info! I'm sure there will be more places out there offering parts and repair soon.

On the site val88 posted I found a great video of the Nexus 7 teardown. Looks like a 10 minute job to replace the screen. Google Nexus 7 Repair Guide Service Manual

Joe
  8. Turbojoe

I just sent them an e-mail requesting a quote. I'll post back when I hear from them. It's kinda late so will probably be tomorrow before I get a reply.

Joe
  9. adi19956

adi19956 Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm sure more options will become available as Google sells 8 million Nexus 7s
  10. knan2012

knan2012 New Member

Thanks guys,

It looks like repairing the screen costs more than the actual device.

Asus gave me this link Asusparts , for parts But they don't provide parts for Nexus 7 yet. so I may buy another one and keep the broken one as Turbojoe done.
  11. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Yeah, the problem with a low margin (or even negative margin possibly) device, as far as repairing it, its almost a throwaway, might as well buy a new one.
  12. shiv81

shiv81 Well-Known Member

13. jdesousa

jdesousa New Member

Hello,

I'm in the same boat - my screen cracked after two weeks and I took great care of the device, it looks like I'm left with not having any other option than to bin it and buy a new device - I've had no joy from Google/Asus/Vendor - none of them can supply the parts and Asus want
  14. VolvoJake

VolvoJake New Member

I'm in the same boat, the link that Adi19956 says they are out of stock, which is blah.
  15. jdesousa

jdesousa New Member

Sorry to burst your bubble, I actually work for HP but that is irrelevant. I'm just an ordinary consumer who has no particular allegiance to any manufacturer. I just expect a reasonable level of quality backed by a decent support organisation for any device I but.
  16. vulcanize

vulcanize Member

My N7 slipped and fell face flat - cracking it (thus rendering it useless) today and was wondering about the "how to" about fixing it. :(
  17. Turbojoe

Sorry to hear that. I know that sinking feeling. I couldn't find a replacement screen or a reasonable repair price so I sold mine on ebay. I got $111.49 for my broken 16gb N7 and bought another new one that I hold with both hands at all times now. Not what you want to hear I know but unfortunately I just don't think you're going to find a cheap repair.

Joe
  18. Turbojoe

If you find a source of replacement screens please post back here as a lot of people will be very interested.

Joe
  19. duckfeet

duckfeet Member

Yes, mine cracked...fairly easily too, which seems to be the case...I treated mine about like my Kindle--you know, stuck it in my pocket, didn't worry too much about it, figured it was/seemed fairly solid. And then mine fell a few feet, landed on it's back, and screen had hairline crack, and no longer worked...

Some people are saying, well, what do you expect? But when you google around, sure seems that these are cracking way too easily: No other device I carry with me has ever cracked a screen, so I called Google PLay, and they were very friendly, seemed all understanding and such...but I was over the 2 week warranty, so they said I had to go to ASUS, where I got more the usual semi-English speaking help desk with lots of repetitions and 'May I put you on hold, sirs' and all that....then told to send it on in...

I did, they came back with quote: Parts: $85, Labor $65, Shipping (ground) $10 ...
    So, it was a 16gb tablet, so I didn't feel like just 'chucking' it, so I paid, and I got it back today....

I'm not new at this...I've always had a friendly attitude towards google...I've my Nexus One original android smartphone still happily chugging away. I was sent a free cr48 chromebook, and still use it daily, love it...but this has been a bad experience. I get it, that things break, etc...but it does seem that these specific tablets are breaking a little too easily.

I still lug around my Kindle everywhere, never had to worry about it, always falling off bed onto rug, bouncing against doors, etc...no cracks. But this tablet just came out, and to already be having the sheer amount of cracks in the screen.

I do suggest, that regardless of what you decide to do, that you contact google play, let them know, see if at least they might improve their testing methods...as this is no 'take everywhere' tablet that they claim it is...too delicate for my tastes....
  20. Turbojoe

I love my N7 to death but after breaking my first one I'm scared to death of it. It gets transported to/from work in a corner protected case then carefully placed in it's own padded carry bag that is then carefully placed in my back pack (I ride a motorcycle). I'm thinking about adding a wrist lanyard to mine to help make sure I don't fumble finger again and drop this one. Now that I know first hand it won't survive a drop I'm extra careful now. Doesn't make me love it any less. Just makes me more careful. Oh, and I bought the Squaretrade drop/spill warranty this time........;)

Joe
  21. duckfeet

duckfeet Member

Pretty much my story too...I just can't decide what to do...I hate having something that once seemed so handy, that now I have to 'baby' because I don't know if screen will crack if I just bump it hard....I do like it...I'm a regular/avid reader, and still love my old Kindle (keyboard) and the thing I liked most about this tablet, was after I put on the Aldiko reader, and could just put all my Calibre epub books on here...and I was getting used to the onscreen keypad on the nexus7...but again, main thing I liked was that I could throw it in my pocked, like a smartphone, and take it everywhere...

Now I have a 'holder' that protects it, but I still carry it uneasily...so if I keep feeling this way, I'll probably sell it, tho at this point in the game, I'd loose so much money, that perhaps I should just keep it as a lesson to me....

But I did talk to google, and the guy listed, seemed interested, and I told him there were increasing numbers of us on the various forums who had cracked screens, so maybe eventually they'll put some kind of gorilla glass on, or make it available...

I doubt seriously that this could pass all those 'dropping' tests...mine sure couldn't...but I don't want to get warranty, but I'll keep an eye on the threads where people have cracked the screens, see what develops....

best wishes...I'm in the Leo Laporte 'The Tech Guy' chatroom, right now, and will bring this up there, also, maybe call into Leo, see what he thinks....

df
  22. kellman1980

kellman1980 New Member

I've wanted a Nexus 7 since they were announced, but after watching drop/torture tests, and reading about how easy the screen does break on the N7 I decided to pay an extra $26 to order a 1 year accidental damage warranty on mine when I ordered it from Newegg. After my warranty is up I am guessing that the screens will be readily available.
  23. dongemus

dongemus Well-Known Member

Mine broke too, and it was in a case. The crack comes from the bottom, right in the center. I see many starting there online. Is this a weak point?

Is there an easy way to get my data off the tablet now and wipe it so I can put it on eBay?

As for a replacement, I am waiting to see what ROMs become available for the Fire HD, and what other Nexus devices become available on 11/5.
  24. Turbojoe

Check out this link: [GUIDE][MAC][PC][LINUX] How to Unlock, Root and Flash Recovery

Follow the directions EXACTLY and you'll be able to unlock (wipe) and re-lock in no time. It's how I was able to wipe mine. I hope you do better on eBay than I did. I got $111.49 for my broken screen 16gb N7.

Joe
  25. dongemus

dongemus Well-Known Member

Thanks.

I already had it unlocked and rooted, BTW, but now all I have access to is the power and volume buttons... and the usb. I am hoping there is a way to get my files off via USB?