google nexus 7 should i upgrade to 4.2Support

Last Updated: 2013-01-29 00:30:00
  1. bizzybazza

bizzybazza New Member

i am a real newbie so forgive me if i am making any mistakes.
    i have ordered a nexus 7 (with jellybean 4.1) and it is on its way but looking around the internet have seen worrying posts re problems with the 4.2 upgrade. so i just wanted to make sure that when setting up the tablet should i upgrade it or wait. has anyone any news re nexus 7 and version 4.2 if so any idea when a fix is available.hope you can help i dont want to start on a bad footing thanks in anticipation :)

bizzybazza

Advertisement
  2. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

I would upgrade.

Keep in mind, you're ONLY hearing about problems on here. You don't see a hundred people get on the forum to say, "I upgraded and it works fine."

I upgraded, it's fine. Two people at work upgraded, they're fine. The daughter of one of the guys at work upgraded, and it's fine. With any software upgrade, sometimes there are problems - but more often than not, it's okay.
  3. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Well-Known Member

I don't think I ever had problems with upgrades unless I tried dodgy ROMs :)
    bizzybazza likes this.
  4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Exactly, :D

We are primarily a support forum, so by definition were going to have problems here.

The upgrade went smoothly for me as well
    El Presidente likes this.
  5. iwchris

iwchris Member

Yes I upgraded mine it was only 1week old, all went well and no problems at all, very pleased with the Nexus so far.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  6. Netcat

Netcat Well-Known Member

I also upgraded and didn't see any issues. The only problems you might encounter is apps that won't run in 4.2 but WILL run in 4.1. You might not find out until after you upgrade.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  7. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

I upgraded as soon as it was out of the box. No issues for me either.
  8. Traelyn

Traelyn Well-Known Member

I've had my Nexus 7 sense Christmas and that was my question. I still haven't updated, but I think I will now. Have fun with your Nexus 7. :)
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  9. Muqtar

Muqtar Well-Known Member

I upgraded out of the box and so did my sister with hers. I would hurry up and get onto 4.2 as it is awesome.

I would not consider leaving it on 4.1

Good luck
  10. Italo

Italo Well-Known Member

Same here.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  11. homey

homey Well-Known Member

What about the well documented wifi and bluetooth streaming issues with 4.2x?
    Its almost impossible to listen to spotify /last fm and stream the content to a bluetooth device (speaker or headphones) without the music stopping every few seconds. I'd love to update to 4.2.1 but as I listen to Last FM and spotify most of the time with my bluetooth speaker, upgrade is a deal breaker for me.
    Google has acknowledged the issue but continue to do nothing about it.
    Of course, of you don't use bluetooth steaming and wifi...
  12. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Im sure its being worked on.

Ive personally never used Bluetooth for anything.
  13. binary visions

I use Google Music streaming over BT all the time with no issues...
  14. Groid

Groid Well-Known Member

My wi-fi has been perfect on 4.2.1.
  15. homey

homey Well-Known Member

As far as I understand, its not the wifi and its not bluetooth on their own. Using both of them at the same time to stream music from the net to a bluetooth device is apparently where the problem arises.
  16. Davdi

Davdi Well-Known Member Contributor

I've been streamng from Google Play Music, Amazon MP3 and Winamp/Shoutcast via BT to a set of ALtec-Lansing BT speakers without any problems. The on;y issue I can see is that if the WiFi signal is weak or in the same channel as a stronger one. try running INSSIDER from here: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider
    to see if you have any WiFi signal problems.
  17. skelms

skelms Well-Known Member

4.2 had many problems when it was first released, almost all of the apps have been updated with fixes, so updateing shouldn't be a problem....but if you update from 4.1 to 4.2 the clock font changes, which most people didn't care for; also lock screen widgets are added which still aren't implemented well. Also it adds multiple user accounts, and 2 notification panels 1 on the right and 1 on the left. If you like those changes then upgrade, otherwise those are the big changes, which personally I don't really need.
  18. binary visions

I freakin' love the lock screen widgets. Widgetlocker or the other similar lockscreen apps never worked as cleanly.

Maybe that's just me?
  19. GandalfTehGray

GandalfTehGray Well-Known Member

Have to disagree, widgetlocker will never come off my phone. What do you mean by cleanly?