"Google Now" for Droid 4???

Last Updated:

1. Airman1947

Airman1947 Member

Ok so I recently got the Verizon OTA update for my rooted Droid 4. I'm lovin it, but I'm curious about the postings that I've been finding about porting "Google Now" to ICS, and I'm trying to figure out if it's possible on Droid 4.

There's a basic version without the Voice features that's a simple .apk file that can be installed if some little things are tweaked in the system folder.
    [App] Google Now for ICS Roms - xda-developers

But, the instructions say that it can only be installed on an ICS AOSP rom, which I'm guessing the stock rom is not?

There's also a full version with the Voice features that's a flashable .zip file. xda-developers - View Single Post - [MOD] [4.0+] [UPDATE 08/08] The Google Now for ICS Project [APK AND ZIP] [ARMv6&v7]

But, the only custom recovery mod I could find that would work for Droid 4 was Safestrap 2.0. I'm able to boot into Safestrap Recovery, but you need to switch over to something called Safe Mode to flash anything on the phone, and I can't seem to get my phone to even boot in Safe Mode. Somewhere I read that it's because you can't load the stock rom into Safe Mode. It's only for custom roms.

Anybody who knows more than me have any ideas? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Airman1947

Airman1947 Member

Hehe nevermind. I found an answer to my own question xP

You CAN get Google Now on Droid 4! :D What I did was flash the Google Now zip file over a deodexed version of the stock ROM that someone pointed out to me on the Droid Forums. Just flash the custom recovery mod Safestrap 2.0 onto your phone, and then boot into Safestrap. Switch over into "Safe" mode, wipe data and flash the ROM. (You might need to already have ICS to flash Safestrap 2.0. Not sure. Anyone know?). Anyway, here's the ROM.

[Rom] deodexed/debloated ics 217

Then boot up into the new ROM once, and reboot into safestrap again. Then without wiping, flash this Google Now mod.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [MOD] [4.0+] [UPDATE 08/08] The Google Now for ICS Project [APK AND ZIP] [ARMv6&v7]

Google Now is awesome!! :D I'm sooooo happy to finally have it. Voice recognition is great. Only complaint is that the Bluetooth Voice Dialer is a piece of crap. But I just open the "Voice Commands" app when using Bluetooth. And the ROM is pretty cool too. No bloatware, and runs great. Oh and, there's a Droid Razr 1% battery MOD that works on it :)

[Mod] Accurate Battery [1%] Razr - Ics Deodexed - DroidRzr.com

I flashed the "Gradient Stock 211 Deodexed by Kebob" version. Finally, the battery life decreases by 1% intervals x)
  3. RideZeLitenin

RideZeLitenin Well-Known Member

Runs perfect on my CM10 JB rom.