• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Now or S-Voice and how to replace one with the other?

Upvote 0
First my setup

Device: Nexus 7 (android 4.1.2)
Dialect: Non-regional (At no time during the test did I have to repeat myself for clarity. Both apps understood me just fine)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Easy Everyday Questions (From Robins description page):
1) Where is the nearest Macy's
Robin- Found the right one, also listed many other stores with macy in the name

GN-Showed me on a map, along with the telephone number, website, and google reviews. Also found the number for their optical department and 1 random store with macy in name

2) Where's a burger place?
Robin- Listed many local bars that do indeed serve burgers, but for some reason listed "Burger Place" almost a mile away despite there being several bars/restaurants within half a block of my apartment

GN- Same listings as Robin, but provided address, telephone, and reviews at a glace

3) Whats the traffic like in Minneapolis?
Robin- Showed correct traffic map (hey what do ya know, traffic is good at 10:30 PM on a Monday ;))

GN-Brought up the same map that robin did, no surprise there as robin used the google maps traffic info. Also listed website for Minneapolis Traffic Report

4) Whats the weather like tomorrow?
Robin- Shows forecast for next 4 days, spoken
GN- Same as above
nu8ypy8e.jpg

Fact Based questions:

1) How tall is lebron James?
Robin-"6ft 7.25 inches." Displayed it in small black text overlaying the map interface. Very strange way to show a result

GN-"Lebron James is 6 feet 8 inches tall" with fact card
yna7u6ap.jpg

2) Who do the chicago bears play next week?
Robin- "Playing Music" -- option comes up to select which music app to use. Seems "Play" is a trigger word for music app

GN-"The Bears and playing the 49ers on November 19th at 7:30 PM". Sweet, MNF :)
4y2egu7e.jpg

3)What was the score of the bears game last week?
Robin- "Lets ask ESPN", brought up a generic ESPN NFL website that displayed the scores of many football games and news articles about other teams

GN- "The Bears lost to the Texans 13-6"- Provides link to recap & highlights
a8ysyjuz.jpg

4)What is Oprahs net worth?
Robin- "I'm not quire sure about the answer to what is Oprah's net worth"...Hmm, she understood me

GN- Brings up google search results for what is oprahs net worth

Hard-mode:

1) Give me directions to the university of Minnesota by bus
Robin- "Lets ask ESPN"....:thinking: Brought up NBA Page

Round 2----"Cool Beans, thats awesome!" ---- Not exactly helpful

GN- "Getting Directions...."
Gives me 4 different bus route options and has option to adjust when I'd like to depart.
y3y8e9eg.jpg

hazatu3y.jpg

Overall:

Google Now wins it, but I was impressed by Robins abilities (its only a beta) It annoyed me that when I opened the app robin started a dialogue everytime, where as with google now as soon as you hit the button you can start asking it questions. I want my questions answered, I don't need a friend :p

Also, the robin voice creeped me out. I didnt allow it to download the other voices it requested.

Upvote 0
Long press the menu button, not Home - i don't have a note 2 yet but I thought this worked

Did not know this, and very cool but...

I want to be able to quickly bring up the google now's voice search box (like when you click the mic). When you long press the menu button it does bring up google now, but not at the voice input screen. you still have to press and hold menu and then (click the mic in the upper corner or say Google).

But this is very cool to know

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones