• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Now voice search sometimes hangs at "initializing"

Having a BLUETOOTH device connected will cause this,definitely not a good thing.
Other than that, I haven't heard of any other causes for the hanging/hesitation of GOOGLE NOW voice search.

BT is not connected to any device but it is on. I'll see if it make a difference with it off. It's fine 90% of the time, Usually it says "initializing" for about 0-2 seconds, other times it just sits at "initializing" and I have to re-try several time before I get the "speak now"

Upvote 0
Same issue with me. After JB update on the HTC Evo 4g LTE, voice search and voice text doesn't work if a BT is connected. It just shows "initializing". Turn off my BT headset and it works beautifully. Also, if you try the app 2 times, it will work. (ie. open voice search, exit, and go back in). Also, when texting, click on the Mic in the keyboard, exit the keyboard, bring up the keyboard again, and click on the Mic again.

Didn't they test any of this voice stuff before releasing this update? sheesh! :thinking: There's a long thread on this issue Here.

Upvote 0
yes, now that I have tried it a little bit more it does seem to be Bluetooth related. It sometimes works however and sometimes doesnt. like others said, if it doesn't work with Bluetooth and I turn the Bluetooth off then it starts working right away. It is odd however because sometimes it does work with Bluetooth connected

Upvote 0
I've just had similar problems & my BT was turned off.

I turned g-now "on" then back "off" and it's now intermittent.

Search & google now seem to be doing the same thing, when using the mic button on swiftkey however, the speech function seems to work even though the initializing animation doesn't complete.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones