• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google now

I wouldn't get too excited about it. Had it for 6 months (or less) and it isn't great. Sometimes useful but mostly its not, bear in mind this stuff is very much in its infancy.

Quick example of why it fails. My trains last night were all cancelled/ massively delayed. Google Now notifies me, 0 mins delay to get home...... me thinks not!!!!

Upvote 0
Some of us don't commute where main roads are a problem. Some use odd hours. Some use back streets. We used all.

You rarely run into a traffic jam. Now if the thing could report on idiots on the road--

I tried using a GPS. I simply found it too distracting. I don't like taking eyes off road for any reason, and listening to it doesn't give you all the info. AI voices are awful in my opinion. I think it's no inflection in the speech. I can memorize printed driving directions.

Upvote 0
If you're going straight to/from a given place, printed directions work fine. If you're driving to 6 customers across a wide geographic area, and they keep changing your appointment times, it helps to be able to dynamically recalculate your best route.

Plus, finding gas stations and specific POI's then navigating straight to them is crucial when you're on the road!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones