• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Offline Maps Usage

I live in New York which means when I commute I have about an hour and a half without a data connection (subway). I have an offline map of New York on my phone and although I dont expect it to do GPS I cant seem to search for an address or a street or anything. So I guess the question is what functionality do I have with an offline map. Or am I missing something and doing it wrong?

It won't download & store enough data to do a search, it would need to download everything you might want so search for within the given area. I doubt whether many phones could store that much data.

What you will have is just the map tiles. No navigation, no points of interest, but you should have your starred places marked.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones