• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Play Books will not work! HTC Inc 2

I have a HTC Incredible 2, 3G. Every time I open my Play Books app to start downloading books/reading them, I get this notification: "Couldn't retrieve Google Play books library from Google. Check your internet connection and try again." My WiFi works perfectly and is always connected to either my home or work internet. Also, out of curiosity, I turned off my WiFi and tried. Gave me the same message. So now I'm stumped. Any suggestions/answers? Keep in mind, I am not very knowledgeable with smartphones and their software, etc. lol. Thanks!

It came with/on the phone so whenever I try to uninstall it using the market, the options afterward say "Open" or "Update" as if the software never has really come off of my phone.

Instead of unistalling through the market see if you can uninstalling by going into Applications > Manage apps. Select the all tab and scroll to the app. There should be an uninstall button when you select the app. If this button is greyed out you will not be able to uninstall it.

Upvote 0
To bberryhill0: I tried this but it still said the same thing :(
To valorian: I went to Manage Apps and it said "Uninstall Updates." I went ahead and tried it and the version went back to the one it had before the most recent update. So I tapped it and it said "Unable to retrieve the contents of the My eBooks shelf from Google. Please check your Internet connection and try again."

Upvote 0
I'm having the same issue. I can't open Play Books. It keeps saying no internet connection and I have great internet and WiFi. I have uninstalled the updates (can't completely uninstall bc phone won't allow) re installed the updates and rebooted. I have lost all my books now bc it won't connect. I have already cleared cashes and forced stopped....I'm not sure what to do next. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 through Sprint. Thanks in advance. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones