Google Play issueSupport

1. dgb

dgb Member

Hi,

I'll start by explaining i'm pretty technologically simple. So I apologise if my terminology or explanations appear stupid.

Recently, during an auto update, my Whatsapp started to play-up, it was updating for hours, so eventually, I just cancelled the update, because turning the phone off and on wasn't doing the job. From then on, my whatsapp wouldn't open, and my google play would freeze when I tried to open it.

I gave it to my mate to have a look at, and he went on my applications manager, uninstalled whatsapp, which did nothing and google play still froze when opened. He then went back on app manager, cleared the data and cache for google play, and now when I click on it, it briefly opens, but just closes straight away. I thought he knew what he was doing, but it seems not...

Is there a simple way of getting google play back? Or is there another route I should take?

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum

Try going to settings, application manager, all and force stop, uninstall updates (if any) and clear cache and data for the following
    Google Play Store
    Google Play Services
    Google Services Framework
    Download Manager.
    Then reboot your phone and try the play store again
    dgb likes this.
  3. dgb

dgb Member

Thank you,

I gave it a go, and for a moment it worked, it asked me to 'agree' to the t&c's. However, it just then switches itself off. It does at least say it's loading for a minute before doing so, which is an improvement on before...

Sorry to be pain.

Would reseting my factory settings make the difference as a last resort?
  4. Shotgun84

Don't worry it's not a problem. As a last resort a factory reset would probably fix it. Try clearing data for the play store again and see if it makes a difference.
  5. Shotgun84

Maybe try clearing data for Google play magazine, Google play books and Google play music as well.
  6. dgb

dgb Member

I did it again, this time is said, 'the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped'.

I have not had it all that long, just over a month, so there's not so much on it that i'm worried about losing if I have to plump for a reset.
  7. Shotgun84

The only other thing I can think of is to reinstall the play store with an apk. I've extracted this from my phone. You'll need to allow unknown sources in settings, security then just download to your phone and install.
    https://www.box.com/shared/hig366afauzock4rntsw
    funkylogik likes this.
  8. dgb

dgb Member

That worked briefly, then it closed again. It even gave me chance to search for apps to download before closing, although now it just turns off again.

If I was to reset my settings, would I treat it as a completely new phone next time around, and set up new account info, as to ensure it doesn't recognise my previous profile and adjust my apps... etc accordingly, or would it not anyway?
  9. Shotgun84

You shouldn't have any problems using the same gmail account but if you want to you could use a different one. Just make sure you have your contacts and any photos or videos you want to keep backed up before wiping.

Before you wipe your phone can you try downloading something from the play store via your internet browser. I'm just curious to see if that'll give it the nudge to get things running again.
    funkylogik likes this.
  10. thequeenscheese

thequeenscheese Well-Known Member

i vaguely remember google talk being linked to playstore as it messed up my old experia when i removed it by mistake, could it be that?
    funkylogik likes this.
  11. KOLIO

KOLIO NOTEoriously XPOSED Guide

Definitely!

As a rule,don't delete any system apps from GOOGLE & you'll be OK.
    funkylogik likes this.
  12. sirchewed

sirchewed New Member

This should solve the problem...

Go to Settings, Application manager, All and scroll all the way to the end of the list and click Download Manager and then click Enable.
  13. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Yup. I made mistake of uninstalling it once and couldnt use any gapps lol :)
  14. dgb

dgb Member

Apologies for not getting back sooner, before I went to bed last night I reset it, and all is now well. Sorry I didn't see this in time to try anything further.

Thank you all for your help, I am extremely grateful, and pleasantly suprised at how willing people are to help others. :)
    Shotgun84 and funkylogik like this.
  15. KOLIO

KOLIO NOTEoriously XPOSED Guide

Ditto!

No doubt your line of thinking was "I don't use G-TALK,I'll just delete it.":p
    I did this w/my HUAWEI ASCEND,as it needed all the unnecessary bloat removed as possible.

Luckily some kind folks here @ A/F helped me out & I've been here ever since.

So the old adage is true:Beware of feeding a stray dog,for once you do,They'll NEVER go away..........:D
    funkylogik likes this.
  16. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Lmao nearly identical story but it was on a Zte :)
    Got over zealous with removing system apps because the phone had a TINY internal memory.
    Huge lesson learned lol ;)