• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google play music file names

robinta

Jun 23, 2010
When purchasing music from the play store, I know it is located in a secure area on the phone but can get music to show ok in my preferred music apps other than the basic google one (e.g poweramp)

However the purchased tracks show with no tags and random file names (e.g 4283.mp3) so are a total pain to use correctly.

Other than going through every track individually and modifying the tags is there a way to quickly change this info ?

Obviously when playing the music in the play music app all the file info is present, so the information exists somewhere.

Anyone know of any workarounds ? Its so off putting ive stopped buying music that way.

When purchasing music from the play store, I know it is located in a secure area on the phone but can get music to show ok in my preferred music apps other than the basic google one (e.g poweramp)

However the purchased tracks show with no tags and random file names (e.g 4283.mp3) so are a total pain to use correctly.

Other than going through every track individually and modifying the tags is there a way to quickly change this info ?

Obviously when playing the music in the play music app all the file info is present, so the information exists somewhere.

Anyone know of any workarounds ? Its so off putting ive stopped buying music that way.

You can download purchased music on your PC - up two twice per track using the web player, or an unlimited number of times with the Music Manager app. You can then transfer those DRM-free files to your preferred music player (and they'll even be named and tagged appropriately).

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1233029?hl=en

Reactions: robinta and Slug
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones