• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Play Music keeps turning on?

steveu694

Android Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2011
So every time I get in my car the Google Play Music icon appears and starts running. I am connected via blue tooth for calls, so I don't know what's happening. I'm also experiencing terrible battery life while the phone is sleeping. If I turn the phone off and on it seems to solve it. I have since disabled music and I'm running 4.4.2

Any ideas?

Exact same is happening with my music also and I don't use Google play.

I had mixzing but since kit Kat update it ain't working for anyone by the looks of things, so while waiting on fix, I tried Rocket music player. Got in car, switched on engine, Bluetooth connected and music started streaming from my phone.
Looked at all the settings I could, switched off all Bluetooth related ones, tried again and same thing happening.

Removed rocket and tried power amp and the exact same thing is happening.

What i noticed also is even if I don't turn cat system over the Bluetooth stream, music is still playing anyway and running my battery down. Switch off engine and car Bluetooth, my phone starts blasting out music that it's been playing.

Defo a bug that's not just related to Google play music

Upvote 0
I think I found a fix. I first disabled Google Play Music since I don't even use it. But I also uninstalled the latest update to the App and got in my car an hour ago and it finally didn't show the head phone icon in the status bar. And my battery life is amazing again. I Googled my issue and found many people did what I did for a fix. Weird thing is, this dates back to May 2013. Weird.

Will update in the next 24 hrs.....

Upvote 0
Was thinking about getting the Nexus 5 but I have a subscription to Google Music. Please keep us updated. This may be the deciding factor on the phone. :-(

Can't be related just to nexus 5 if issue been happening since May and can't just be related to Google play as I don't use it.
Phone is a winner, I would get it again if given the choice today

Upvote 0
Anyone found or seen a fix for this, getting bloody annoying music starting up every time I start the car up?

I don't have this problem (nor do I have a car with BT ;) ), however what it sounds like is a version of the normal function where, if you plug in your headphones the music starts playing. It is as if the remembered BT pairing is treated the same way as headphone insertion.

So, do you have an option to disable that function for headphones? I know PowerAMP does and, in fact, has similar settings for BT. Just wondering if disabling play resume with headphones also gets rid of the BT resume.

Upvote 0
I don't have this problem (nor do I have a car with BT ;) ), however what it sounds like is a version of the normal function where, if you plug in your headphones the music starts playing. It is as if the remembered BT pairing is treated the same way as headphone insertion.

So, do you have an option to disable that function for headphones? I know PowerAMP does and, in fact, has similar settings for BT. Just wondering if disabling play resume with headphones also gets rid of the BT resume.

All start up options are switched off in music player, it's done the same for 3 players I have tried

Upvote 0
In the BT profile for your car, just untick media and leave headset/hands free ticked

I want to be able to stream music or my podcaster or Napster etc through my car, I just don't want my phone starting the music player automatically when I switch on the car.

It never used to do this in the same car with my moto razr

Upvote 0
I want to be able to stream music or my podcaster or Napster etc through my car, I just don't want my phone starting the music player automatically when I switch on the car.

It never used to do this in the same car with my moto razr
What cars and what BT systems are people having issues with?

Not had the issue on 2x VW factory fitted handsfree

Upvote 0
It works pretty nicely in my Volkwagen GTI. When I hit the media button the car stereo, whatever the last media app that was playing on my phone at the time will resume playing. Whether it be google music, or Pandora or my internet radio streaming app....the one I stopped listening to as I left the car will resume play once I hit the media button on the stereo. Couldn't be better.

Upvote 0
Looking at her Moto G again, she has a pending download I can't seem to get rid of, and it's this it seems to be trying to play every time it's connected to the car.

If you have the issue, in play music app do you have any pending downloads?

I don't use play music and have disabled it.

Press button on my cars head unit and it's always the music player that starts up, never doggcatcher, never Napster ... even though this feature was switched off on all the music players I've tried.

But the minute I connect to the car via Bluetooth, the phone starts streaming music even if I'm on radio channel in car.

Upvote 0
So every time I get in my car the Google Play Music icon appears and starts running. I am connected via blue tooth for calls, so I don't know what's happening. I'm also experiencing terrible battery life while the phone is sleeping. If I turn the phone off and on it seems to solve it. I have since disabled music and I'm running 4.4.2

Any ideas?

You will need your phone to be rooted in order to permanently control which applications can start when you switch your phone on and which programs automatically startup again even if you have disabled them.

Then you will need a program which allows you to go through the process of switching these programs off. One program which allows you to do this is Android Tuner. There are paid and free versions available in the Google Play store.

Upvote 0
Mine is plugged in to an auxiliary cord and it's doing the same to me. I have everything turned off. It's driving me crazy. I will try that app and hope it works. I even have it to stream on wifi only and nothing is pinned to my devi. I'm at a loss. Ugh. Is there a place we can report to Google so we are officially reporting?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones