• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Play Music not finding music, no .nomedia files.

iarp

Lurker
Apr 23, 2013
I've run into a problem with Google Play Music v 4.5.9141.590354. It was recently updated and now no longer finds music on the phone.

I can't remember exactly when it started, but I noticed mp3's were no longer appearing in the player after i copied them onto the phone. I read online to find and delete any .nomedia files. I scanned the entire phone with ES File Explorer as well as connection via USB to my Windows computer searching for .nomedia files and deleteing any i could find.

In an attempt to test something, i went into my music folder and manually created a .nomedia file. All music disappear from Play, i then deleted the .nomedia file and nothing will show up anymore.

I have:

• Restarted countless times
  • "Clear data" on the Google Play Music app, wiping out its database.
  • "Uninstall updates" and restored the app back to factory settings.
  • Reupgraded after that no luck restore
  • Renamed the Music folder to oldMusic, created a new Music folder and ensured i copied only mp3 files and nothing else.

The only music i am able to see is what i have uploaded to Google Music online, the rest are missing(200 mp3's about 2GB stored).

It's as if there is a .nomedia file in the folder now that i can no longer see. ES File Explorer does have "Show hidden" turned on, and Windows is also set to show hidden.

I only ever used Play for music, i installed Rocket Player and it found everything without an issue.

If i browse to the Music folder and select the songs, it does give me the option to select a player. The mp3's work on all players. When I select Play though, it just appears as a single line pop-up with a pause button and a skippable timeline, it still never appears in the actual Play app.

Upvote 0
I have this same problem and for that reason, I was using My Music to play my music instead of Google Play Music. I've been syncing with Doubletwist, which has its own set of problems. With the new JB upgrade (I use a Droid Bionic), I can't even use My Music anymore, so I have no easy way to acces my playlists. I may try this Rocket Player you all recommended.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones