Google Play Music

1. Toppertech

Toppertech New Member

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has any ideas. I recently got a chromecast. YouTube and Netflix work perfectly. However, I can't get any other apps to cast.

Google Play music app connects and the tv screen changes to show the music splash screen. It then informs me to select a song. However, whenever I select a song nothing happens. I can change the volume (and see the correct response on screen), yet nothing plays. I've tried this with both my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 and both experience the same problem.

I tried to cast both the Santa app (yep, I am that cool) and Avia, neither worked. Usually it brings up a Welcome to BT page, from which I am unable to progress. This may indicate a router issue with these 2 apps.

Set up: Nexus 5; BT Home Hub router; Philips TV; Google Chromecast.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement
    :
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Welcome to AF!

Which home hub, 4.0? That's what I'm using and I had similar problems with the Santa app on phone and tablet. I'll give Play music a go when I get home from work in the morning and see if I experience the same as you.

Have you tried casting via a browser tab? Does that work?

What were you trying to use Avia for? Music or Movies? I had intended to purchase the unlock features so I could stream videos from my phone.
    Toppertech likes this.
  3. Toppertech

Toppertech New Member

Hello! Thanks for the reply.

I am indeed using a home hub 4.0. I haven't actually tried to cast a browser tab. I'll try that tomorrow.

I wanted to use Avia to cast my photos, so I paid for the addition. However, I usually use standard dlna for this, but find that can be a little temperamental. So thought the Chromecast might be an easier method.
  4. El Presidente

Just gave Play Music a go and it worked no problem.

Are you streaming the music from the cloud or is it store locally on your devices?

Are you casting, then playing music or playing music and casting whilst the music is played? Whatever way round you're doing it, try the other and see if that makes a difference.
    Toppertech and ocnbrze like this.
  5. Toppertech

Toppertech New Member

Hi, thanks for your help.

I've successfully cast from my laptop. Google Play Music amongst other tabs cast correctly.

With my nexus devices, I have tried casting via both techniques you mentioned (cast then select song and vice versa) neither works.

I am aware that you can't cast sideloaded content, but I have none on my devices: all music is on the cloud, either through music manager upload or "rented" songs via my All Access subscription.
  6. El Presidente

I'm not sure then, sorry.

Are you on the latest chromecast build?

Does other stuff cast from the phone no problem (out with YouTube and Netflix)?
    Toppertech likes this.
  7. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles VIP Member

My wife recently had some issues using netflix on her phone with the chromecast. I had to clear the cache and it worked fine after that. Have you tried something like that?

I would also possibly try uninstalling and reinstalling the Play Music app if that doesn't work.

What are your internet speeds like? Could they possibly be part of the issue with streaming stuff?
    Toppertech, ocnbrze and El Presidente like this.
  8. Toppertech

Toppertech New Member

Thanks guys, it works now.

I cleared the Google Play Music cache and it worked immediately. Although it seems to constantly default to full volume when you press play.

And Avia now works - no Welcome to BT page. I have no idea why that works now.

Thanks again for your help.

Are there any other apps you would recommend for casting?
  9. El Presidente

I'm just using netflix and youtube at the moment. I might give Avia a go if you're saying it works ok.

Have you tried Plex for local media on your PC/Laptop?

Also look at fling (it's a standalone java app), it uses VLC to transcode so you can use your chromecast to play virtually any video container.
    Toppertech likes this.
  10. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles VIP Member

I use netflix, youtube, avia, plex, and play music. All function well from my phone.
    Toppertech likes this.