• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Play Service Won't Install

Spirittoo

Nov 23, 2015
Hello ... I am new to smartphones and I bought one thinking it was a good deal, but I didn't realize the storage capacity has a lot to do with the price. I have a GoWin M8 with only 100mb of internal storage. I was not able to install apps to the SD card so I had to fix that using software to hack the phone. Then I discovered some apps will not install ... I will get the message ... "insufficient storage" ... I was trying to install an app called "hangouts" I found it was 25 mb and I had 43 mb free on the internal storage, yet I get that message about insufficient storage. Same with Google Play Services ..The SD card is 32 Gb. Those where not the only apps that gave me that message ... I tried to install the weather channel, accuweather, weatherunderground, and I got the error message ... I was able to install some apps and they went right to the SD card ... messenger ... google voice ... youtube ... weather radar ... google maps. I can't use youtube or google voice with out google play service ... can anyone help me correct this .... how can I get these apps to install? Especially google services.

If the app is 25MB and you have only 43MB then it won't work because you need 25MB to temporarily store the app and another 25MB to install it, in real life a 25MB app may need to download additional libraries files sometimes it weights hundred MB easily. On my HTC phone I can't install anything with less than 100MB of internal storage, even a small app, unless the app can be automatically moved to SD card.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Is there a website that gives instructions on how to root your phone that you can give a link to by any chance? The apps on the internal storage can't be removed even after hacking the phone so the apps would go to the SD card. Can rooting the phone allow me to install google play services?o_O

Upvote 0
Can you define what you mean by "hacking the phone"?

What have you done to it so far?

http://bestmobs.com/gowin-m8/ Is that it?

You could try rooting and links2SD, but the issue with messing about with lesser known brand phones is the ability to return to stock if something goes wrong.

Towelroot is something that may work.

Steer clear of Kingoroot, 360root, iroot etc.

No offence, but looking at the specs of the phone, it will probably have difficulty running much even if you do get root and links2SD working.

Are you still within the return period? Could you take it back and return it for something specced a little better for a similar price? The Moto E or Moto G might be worth a look in. They come with Play Services out of the box too.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Can you define what you mean by "hacking the phone"?

What have you done to it so far?

http://bestmobs.com/gowin-m8/ Is that it?
Okay what I have done so far is went to this website and followed the instructions. After doing this I was able to download some apps to the SD card but not all ... the google play service was one of them. This is the phone I have. I'm not big on these phones ... I don't even have a provider. I just wanted the phone to make video calls through hangouts and facebook messenger. I also just want to browse the net with it like youtube and news sites. Is there a link where I could download lins2SD? Thank you for reading my post.:)

Upvote 0
Looking over the specs on your phone and then the things you want to use for I think you might want to either lower your expectations, or better yet, take the savings you won't be throwing at a provider and invest in something more appropriate. You're just going to be aggravating yourself trying to do things that push your Gowin to or past its limitations.

Upvote 0
Try rooting it with towelroot: https://towelroot.com/

Links2SD is here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buak.Link2SD&hl=en_GB

Whilst root and links2SD might help with the internal memory issues, you're probably going to find 256MB of RAM virtually debilitating.

Installing Google Play Services isn't as easy as installing an app, it may need to be installed as a system app which requires a little bit of tinkering.

Is it definitely hangouts you want to use for video calls?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the links ... I will check them out and see if I can get that app ... it will be fun to see if I can make it happen. As far as the RAM goes ... what I don't know what hurt me ... I have nothing to compare it with to know that it is debilitating ... I like to tinker with these things so getting google play service will be interesting to say the least. I definitely want hangouts because I need it to do video calls with my mom. I don't get to see her anymore since she moved away to leave with my brother.

If I can't this phone to work out perhaps I can get the one I was using that a friend gave me that broke down on me to work again. Something about a booting error. But I will post it in another thread.

Upvote 0
Update ... It looks like The towelroot is a software that has to be installed into the phone ... I tried to see if it would install on the phone, but it was unsuccessful. Looks like the same for the links2SD. Is there a way to root through the computer??? I think that is what I am going to need.

Upvote 0
Update ... It looks like The towelroot is a software that has to be installed into the phone ... I tried to see if it would install on the phone, but it was unsuccessful. Looks like the same for the links2SD. Is there a way to root through the computer??? I think that is what I am going to need.

I'm not sure then, sorry. :(

Root methods tend to be different for each phone, towelroot is the only one I can think of which is a sort of "one size fits all solution".

I'll have a look around for you, but I'm not overly hopeful.

Upvote 0
I was going to try the Kingoroot, can you tell me why I need to steer clear of these software?o_O Thanks.
You might find all your personal and private stuff being phoned home to servers in Beijing or something, as well as obnoxious adware in system possibly. That's why these so called one-click root tools are "free". Worse case scenario they irreparably damage the firmware, and you'll have to buy a new phone or tablet. And something like this Gowin M8 with NO manufacturer or user support, unlike say a Samsung, Moto or HTC device, that's a very real possibility.

Use at your own risk!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was going to try the Kingoroot, can you tell me why I need to steer clear of these software?o_O Thanks.

Pretty much what Mike said. It will send a tonne of personal info to servers in China and it also installs its own Super User app which if you try to remove and replace with a proper SU app, it can brick your phone.

Reactions: mikedt and svim
Upvote 0
Hilly Ho!! Hope those that observed Thanksgiving enjoyed themselves. Well sir ... I am wondering if anyone can suggest a good rooting software I can use? Thanks.

Honestly, having another look at the specs of the phone, I think you're going to have issues installing anything to any of the partitions making root pretty much impossible.

You could try Kingoroot, but there are blatant security risks and I would strongly advise against it.

Even once rooted, with a 100MB data partition, you're going to be lucky if you have enough space to install ANYTHING (even smaller apps as the system generally needs 200MB free space).

Did you get any joy with the LG you were having issues with? A suggestion on how to fix was posted in the thread you created.

Upvote 0
Well sir ... I was successful in getting the phone rooted with iroot. I thought the whole point of rooting was to enable me to create more storage on the internal storage. But true ... there is a lot of stuff that won't install ... that stuff that does goes directly to the SD card. I can't install Link2SD insufficient storage ... and you said you can't do it through the computer ... no alternative to Link2? I'll check the other thread thanks. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones