• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Play Service Won't Install

Hilly Ho! ... Wellsir ... it's not about simply getting a new phone, it's about learning about them and I don't think there is any better way to do it other than hands on experience dealing with an issue. I've spent years learning how to work on PC's I guess it's time to learn about these little mini computers as well. I knew absolutely nothing about these devices, and because of this problem, I've learned quite a bit. Of course I've only scratched the surface. I just want to learn that's all. If there are people out here that are willing to help I will appreciate it.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!:)

Upvote 0
Sometimes part of the learning process is knowing when you've hit the wall. I'm thinking that you're staring at concrete right about now. ;)
Seriously, since you're a PC guy I'll try a PC analogy here- how far would you get trying to use an old Pentium I/Win98 machine with a tiny hard drive and minimal RAM in the current environment, and is it really worth bothering? Answer, not very and no.
What you're messing with is the Android equivalent.
IMO you've gotten as far as you're going to with that old device, and going forward you'll be able to learn a lot more if you acquire something more current and dive into that. I've gained a fair amount of knowledge by doing so, having rooted and tinkered with all my Android devices thanks to help from this forum then moved on to newer ones as obsolescence was approaching. Like yourself I started out in the PC world and got into Android several years ago, although there are some similarities there are also a lot of differences and that is part of the learning curve.

Upvote 0
Good post ^^^^

I have a new ASUS laptop that came with Win8.1 which I never learned to enjoy (being nice) and IMO Win7 is the last good version of the Windows OS series. Prior to that, it was WinXP.

I bought the laptop while I was on a long motorcycle tour, and the POS device I took with me also had Win8.1 on it, it was lethargic and decrepit, it must have sold for at least $99 in a bookstore somewhere.

Add to that, the hotels that I stayed at seemed to always have slow, or overburdened WiFi access....
I got mad at that POS laptop and threw it in the trash can.

Then the new ASUS showed up, at least it was fast, and for a crutch, I installed Classic Shell menu on it so that it "sort of" worked like Win7. That stalled things off until I finally got back home....

I let the thing upgrade to Win10 to explore that as a replacement for Win8.1 and used it for 2 or 3 months.
Finally, I just could not stand it anymore....

I formatted the hard drive and installed Linux Mint 17.3 and haven't looked back.
It is now fast, stable, and does not crash anymore.
Internet access is reliable....

As for me and Linux? not so good, I have worked as an Electronics Tech and later, a Windows IT tech all my working life.... it is going to take a lot of retraining before my 73 y/o brain learns Linux.

but, I acknowledged that my old device was a Concrete Wall, and I had to move on....

I've been retired now for 5 years, and money is limited, so I have to choose what I will spend $$$ on.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones