• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Play Store not opening after restarting my phone

Skyrim200

Lurker
Feb 25, 2015
Hi everyone, from London, England here

I have a Samsung note 3 which I have on the 3 network and have had this phone since last July, with no software problems until today

On Monday evening I updated from the kit kat 4.3 to the Android 5.0 lollipop via the software update in the settings menu. It updated fine, no problems...apps were still there and functioning like normal and Google Play Store was working fine too. I also restarted my phone a number of times with no problems

Fast forward to yesterday evening , I switched off my phone and inserted another sim card into it, to see if it worked.... It did, but then I put the 3 one back in so I could use the Internet, etc. I restarted the phone and when it loaded, I noticed my apps were re-arranged and also some of the Google apps were gone , like Google Chrome and the Google app, Google movies, among others. Some of the games and also the You Tube app are also gone

I then tried to go into the Google Play Store app and as soon as it goes to open, it immediately closes again, so I cannot access it at all. I looked online for solutions and tried clearing the cache, uninstalling updates, clearing data, force closing on both the Google Play Store and the Google Frame work and still the problem persists

I don't want to factory reset my phone as I will lose a lot of important data , so is there anything I can do?

And also, HOW did it happen? It just happened randomly after changing sim cards over, then changing the old sim card back again

I still can't get into the Play Store even though the icon is still there

Any help would be appreciated

I have the exact same problem with Vodafone UK. Upgraded to lillipop on thursday with no problems until this today. my network coverage dropped out... restarted my phone and all google apps and apps which came from market have gone. I have tried clearing individual cache 's and cleared the partition cache but still no luck. Any one have an idea how to fix without a factory reset ? My phone is un rooted

Upvote 0
Update

Got my account working again without having to reset ... cleared partition through boot menu then download latest version of Google play services from Internet. .. had to re install my apps but once they were downloaded all existing information was already stored on phone so didnt loose anything... hope this solves anyone else's problem with the disaster lollipop update

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones