• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Play sucking up my battery

jhonb

Android Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2012
Jersey Shore
Any reason why Google play is all of the sudden sucking my battery dry?

This has been happening for about a week now. I thought maybe the upgrade to 4.3.3 would help, but today I am having the same issue.

I have an unrooted phone with stock everything And all apps are up to date.

Are you sure it's "sucking your battery dry", or is it just the highest listed user? If your total battery drain is 1%/hour, and Google Play is listed as 75%, it may look as if GP is using all your battery up, but what it actually means is that GP is using 75% of that 1% being used. (Which would give you about 50 hours between charges if you recharged at the 50% point.)

Upvote 0
Are you sure it's "sucking your battery dry", or is it just the highest listed user? If your total battery drain is 1%/hour, and Google Play is listed as 75%, it may look as if GP is using all your battery up, but what it actually means is that GP is using 75% of that 1% being used. (Which would give you about 50 hours between charges if you recharged at the 50% point.)

The phone gets light use during the day. After being on battery for about 7 hours with little use, I am at 64%. I usually have 80% or more at 4:00 when I go home.

it reads
21% Google play service
13% Android System
13% OS
12% Cell Standby
1% Phone Idle
9% Screen\
etc

Upvote 0
That does seem very high. My lightly-used N4 currently reports this:

94% - Not charging

10h 0m 21s on battery

Phone idle 21%
Screen 19%
Mobile standby 18%
Wi-Fi 12%
Google Play Services 7%
Android system 6%
etc...

I've had high Google services because of faults - it tends to go into an infinite loop in some network fault conditions - but a reboot always fixes it. In any case it hasn't done this with any version of KitKat, it was only a real problem on one of the Jelly Bean versions.

Upvote 0
Just realised I forgot to charge my phone last night ;)

66% - Not charging

22h 54m 23s on battery

Google Services is my #4 at 8% - I don't see Play services in the list at all, despite updating at least one app yesterday.

Sounds to me like Play services is playing up - I think I would restart the phone, see if that helps.

Upvote 0
Good thinking. But rather than disabling it try checking the "Avoid poor connections" in the "Advanced" settings in the wi-fi menu and see if that helps. I suspect you're picking up some weak public wi-fi that Google thinks it can use (but can't) causing lots of failed retries and associated excessive battery use.

If it makes no difference try disabling wi-fi altogether as you first suggested, but you'll need to remember to turn it on and off which can be a pain; the setting I mentioned is a simple set and forget... if it works for you.

Upvote 0
Good thinking. But rather than disabling it try checking the "Avoid poor connections" in the "Advanced" settings in the wi-fi menu and see if that helps. I suspect you're picking up some weak public wi-fi that Google thinks it can use (but can't) causing lots of failed retries and associated excessive battery use.

If it makes no difference try disabling wi-fi altogether as you first suggested, but you'll need to remember to turn it on and off which can be a pain; the setting I mentioned is a simple set and forget... if it works for you.

Thanks, I will give it a try. (It was not already checked)

Upvote 0
I was out of town this past weekend and noticed a greater-than-normal power drain. Google Play Services did seem to be the culprit but as soon as I disabled location services, the drain went completely away. I am going to re-enable location services one by one, until I find the one that is causing the problem ... hopefully.

Let me know what you find.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones