• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Responds to Oracle Patent Infringement Claims

Many of the blogs and recent trade articles from tech publications I've posted tend to disagree with you.

Java is only GPLv2. Remember that.

And you of all the people on this forum, would really believe anti-Google blogs?

Seriously man?

And as long as Google isn't branding it as Java, or Java compatible(which they aren't), Oracle still has no case.

Not to mention Google may try and get that patent thrown out. It's long overdue anyway.

Upvote 0
That was the same reasoning behind Microsoft's Visual J++ and it costed them 920 million dollars.

That is incorrect. MS acquired a license from Sun to implement Java and call it Java. This license requires that your implementation be 100% compatible which means it must pass the TCK. Microsoft created a broken implementation and still called it Java in order to cause fragmentation.

Google has not licensed anything from Sun because they did not and do not intend to call their platform Java. In fact their platform really has nothing to do with Java at the runtime level. Their platform simply uses the Java language which Oracle has not contested. Its similar to the way Ruby and Python have been ported to run on the JVM. But rather than do a straight compile for source they convert at the bytecode level. After that its their own platform. Heres a very good read on this if you want to understand more.

Headius: My Thoughts on Oracle v Google

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0
Many of the blogs and recent trade articles from tech publications I've posted tend to disagree with you.

Java is only GPLv2. Remember that.

Many blogs I've read tend to point out that theres prior art for just about all of the patents or they are obvious. So it really doesn't matter if Java is GPL v2 or 3.

Its also important to note that everywhere you quoted Google they said they Java programming language and not the Java platform or JDK. Oracle has said nothing about the use of the syntax and I don't believe they could anyway. Nor do they have a case when it comes to saying they are using J2ME without paying for it. And actually they aren't saying that. Its only trolls running around saying that. They are saying that Google's VM infringes on patents of theirs. They only call what Google is doing Java to cloud the issue. And when it comes down to the patents as I said most have prior art or are too obvious. Remember...this all comes down to whether Dalvik infringes on patents....nothing more nothing less. The whole "its Java" argument is just a trolls tool.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones