• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google search app not working.

Hi guys please excuse but i'm a noob with all of this. I cant seem to browse on google anymore? when i click on the search widget I only see the previous list of things i have searched but the search bar stays blank? Just a quick run down. I followed the thread for the one click root (worked flawlessly) I proceed to download anycut and made an LTE functionality widget (works great) ...I got the tethering app (great) ...the overclock widget and set to Mike toolz perameters for the screen (Thank you Miketoolz for that) but all of sudden now the Google search app is not functioning? Can someone please help?

On another note I just wanted to thank everyone of you that have done all this great work from all the posts from K0nane, Miketoolz, ShabbyPenguin, etc. sorry if I missed anyone ...Again thank you all very much.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tiede thanks a bunch for the response I am able to go online after downloading dolphins hd browserand am able to go into app store and such but i deleted metroweb a couple nights ago ...Does that have anything to do with it? basically when i click on google search the name either comes out n a drop down list but when i click on it nothing happens ... i really just would like for it to function properly again. ... Thanks again in advance for any help resolving this matter

Upvote 0
Hmmm. Did you set dolphin to be your default browser before delting the stock browser? Try clearing the data for the google search app and clear defaults for the browser(s) and see if that helps. You may also try grabbing a copy of the stock android browser as a workaround.

In the mean time, seeing as I am rather preoccupied right now, I'll do some more research on this later this evening. I'm suspecting something is afoul with the html intent handler, but don't quote me on that. For what it's worth, when I search, my results are displayed in the browser I use, not metroweb.

Upvote 0
No I didnt set up as my default ... basically what happened was I deleted the metroweb app a couple of days ago and never really had another browser on the phone other than the stock one ... So last night i go to show a friend the google search function and i notice that everytime i enter something to search it doesnt take me anywhere ... I downloaded the DolphinHD app today so i can browse but i havent set any defaults as of yet ... i dont mind the Dolphin app but I really would like to set the google app back to normal again if at all possible... Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0
hmmm....
Than go Settings->Manage Applications->Dolphin HD and choose clear defaults.
I suggest you also try Boat Browser from the market. It's a sibling of Dolphin HD but has a smaller footprint. That's what I have as my default at the moment, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
I'm gonna go on a hunch and say that you may have a faulty search bar.
try this one: Android Forums
It's for the Samsung Galaxy 551, but hey! it might just work…

Or just get it from the market: search for com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox
or click this link market://search?q=pname:com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox while on your phone to go there directly.
Next time though, don't delete the stock browser. I believe it is a required component of the phone, just like the phone app.
In fact, I suggest you try and find a copy of the apk on your phone and put it back. And if you can't, I'll pass you mine. I did receive the update, but as far as we know, it did not touch the browser on the phone, so I'll gladly pass it along if push comes to shove.
I'd just rather you try and find yours first, for carefulness' sake.

Upvote 0
Thanks a bunch man ..i checked the app manage settings and it was not set to my default so i did not need to clear ...I did previously try to uninstall google app and download again from the market but to no avail ...it still did the same thing ... I think i will try the browser you recommended and i would also appreciate if you can send me that .apk file as i dont know where mine would be and if you can also explain how to properly install... again thanks a bunch for all your help and info i cant say it enough ... Happy 4th :)

Upvote 0
Tiede i know this may sound a bit dumb but do you think the reason why It wasnt working was because i did not have a browser on the phone after i deleted the metro web app? ...seems any browser i download now to my phone the google search app uses to upload whatever i search for... or could it be something else entirely?

Upvote 0
There you go!

Just download the provided zio file, unzip it and, using a rooted file browser (I assume you have root since you deleted it in the first place ;) ), place the Browser.apk file in your /system/app directory.
Change the permissions such that they read rwx-rwx-rwx (i.e all permissions for everyone)... That would be the equivalent of a chmod 777 for example.

For the brower.odex file, just change the permissions to rw-r--r-- and that should be enough: That is owner r/w, group r/o adn other r/o.

Once you do that, do not use the browser. Power off your phone and let it turn back on. After that, open the MetroWeb app and you should be all set...

Attachments

• Browser.zip
    542 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 0
Use a "rooted file browser"? ... do you mean superuser? or "Root app remover"? ... yes my phone is rooted but I am not quite sure how to get to those system files you are talking about (sorry dude if i'm sounding like an utter fool). I downloaded your link on my computer i am assuming i must plug my phone via usb cable and then what open it as a mass storage device and look for that way ? or just normally in the samsung kies option? and find the folder that way? sorry man i am just a tad confused in that respect ... I can and will follow instructions very well I just need a step by step process... I truly appreciate all your time and info.

Upvote 0
Sorry.
Life got the better of me. I'm in the process of moving, so everything is in shambles!
But I'm here now :)
Here are the complete instructions:
Plug in your phone into your computer
On the phone, drag the notification area down and select usb mass storage mode.
After it's done initializing, your sd card should be available on your computer.
Open the location (should be a new drive in My Computer)
At the root of the card (meaning at the top level) drag the two files you will find in the zip I attached. (the files can be found if you unzip the one I provided from your Downloads folder. the contents are Browser.apk and Browser.odex)
Now exit USB mass storage mode (safely remove from computer) and turn off from the phone.
The media scanner is going to start scanning the card.
While that is going on, go to the android market and install the app "Super Manager".
Launch Super Manager and select the option "File Explorer"
It should automatically open to the root of your sd card. If not, you will find your card by navigating to /mnt/sdcard. There might also be a symlink to it if it opens at the root of the phone, in which case you will see a location called sdcard with a funny double linked chain next to it. All three places are the same thing, so whichever is fine.
Look for the Browser.apk and Browser.odex file
Click on the icon on the top of the window that looks like a check mark. This will enable you to select multiple files. Just check the boxes for Browser.apk and Browser.odex
on that same bar at the top of the window, you will see a standard "copy icon" (between the cut ''scissors'' and paste ''clipboard'' icons). Click on that and a message will appear saying Prepare to copy.
Press the up arrow on the bar until the address reads /.
Depending on how you got to the sdcard, that might require just one or two taps of the up arrow.
Now scroll down and open the /system folder. Super Manager is going to ask how you want to open it. Select R/W. (you will need to give it superuser privileges).
Now browse to the /app folder from within (the new location should now be /system/app/
Now from the window toolbar, click on the clipboard icon to paste the files you selected earlier.
then, slide your finger on the toolbar all the way to the right and look for an icon with gears behind it and three sevens on the front (777).
That should help you with setting the permissions as mentioned in the previous post.

Good luck, and remember to restart the phone before trying to open the browser so that the .odex file gets used by android correctly.

Upvote 0
No worries and thank you again in advance ... I did everything you stated however the browser nor icon seem to appear on the phone ...I see the browser.apk and browser.odex in the /mnt/sdcard folder but it reads MetroWeb (no install) when i click on it to install it goes through the motions of installing but then reads Application not installed ... dont know what could be the issue?

Upvote 0
That's why I said not to do it that way. That apk is just a striped down app that's meant to already be on the phone, not installed afterwards. Therefore, it must be manually moved to the/system/app folder folder. Otherwise,i would not have you go through all these tergiversations with super manager and the file permissions.
Please read my post above this and try to follow all the steps as described. If something does not make sense or you get stuck, ask for help here and I'll try to explain clearer. Just read the instructions first, maybe twice our three times to better understand them, then try again.

Upvote 0
yes they are in the /system/app just as you explained, however once i installed there I havent seen the widget nor icon for the metroweb browser on my phone ... I also tried running the program from the file manager in super manager as you asked but when i do that it only has 4 options : Install, Basic, Activity and Permission ... i tried install thinking that would run it but it does not allow me to install or do anything else for that matter... Tiede please pardon me man if im not being as specific as you need. As I stated before i followed your instructions to a T and i see the apk and odex files in the /system/app folder but i also notice that its in the /mnt/sdcard folder as well?

Upvote 0
Hmmm....
I don't know, then.
Well, all I can think of is maybe wiping the dalvik cache to force android to recompile the application info.
If you have Titanium Backup installed, open it, click on the More icon (lower right corner), and select Clear Dalvik Cache in the popup menu.
If you don't, you can always clear the cache through the recovery menu, but I won't explain that here (yet), as I don't want you to break anything, and the recovery menu is meant for advanced users...

However, be advised that after clearing the dalvik cache, your phone will take CONSIDERABLY LONGER to boot up than usual... That is normal, as the app cache gets rebuilt from scratch. Just let the phone flash that samsung screen for as long as it wants to :) (Should take about 5-7 minutes) and go grab a cup of coffee while you wait...

Don't you worry, though. None of your apps are gonna be deleted or anything through this process...

Upvote 0
Sorry for the delay in response man but life caught up to me as of late ... I tried installing a couple other browsers but no luck ... Its ok though all and all i have been happy with the other browser and am ok with not being able to get the MetroWeb back ... I want to say thank you again for your time, it has been truly appreciated ... I am curently trying to change my start up sound but with no success maybe you could help with that? lol ... I tried following the instructions in the thread about changing the start up metro jingle but it wouldnt delete the file and let me put the new one in.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones