google search bar

1. djb28

djb28 Well-Known Member

I have a google search bar on my homescreen.
    This is strange to me.

I can hit the mic icon and speak what i want. It searches in google and it shows all google on the page.

when i type what i want, It opens skyfire and searches through bing.

I dont understand.

Advertisement
  2. tjbugs1

tjbugs1 Well-Known Member

Try clearing the default on Skyfire and see if that helps
  3. SoftWyer

SoftWyer Well-Known Member

You can control which search providers are called by going to Settings->Search->Searchable Items and clearing out providers you don't need. You may also need to look at the Google settings in Settings->Search->Google search.
  4. stevevt

stevevt Active Member

This is the Samsung Fascinate forum. We don't have Froyo, so we don't have the Searchable Item setting you're talking about.
  5. SoftWyer

The search settings are not a Froyo only feature, been there in the vanilla Android OS since at least OS 1.6.

Have Samsung removed this option from the main settings page?
  6. Obed

Obed Well-Known Member

we do have the searchable itms menu, but it only lists Apps, Browser, Contacts, Music Player and Amazon Kindle with check mark beside them. No option to choose alternatives
  7. SoftWyer

Ahh, I see :)

Having read the original post again I don't think my initial comment was that helpful anyway (lack of coffee in the morning).

I think djb28 is commenting on the fact that Voice searches use Google's browser and Google search, but Text searches use Skyfire and Bing.

If you want to use Google for everything, then, as noted by tjbugs1, this can be changed by going to Settings->Applications->All->Skyfire->Clear defaults. (at least I think this will reset this configuration). I'm not sure if you can change voice search to use Skyfire.
  8. djb28

djb28 Well-Known Member

Nothing worked from the phone. I spent an hour trying to do things. I found this online and it works.

Its called: Advanced Google Search Provider.apk

I placed it on my SD Cadr and installed it. Need to have a Third party Launcher for it to work. Everything is google now when i search. If i type it in or speak it in. On Sky Fire or any other Browser i want to use.