Google search crashesSupport

Last Updated:

1. GeorgeinLA

GeorgeinLA Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been having a problem with my Droid 2 lately with the default Google search engine. As I'm typing in the letters for the search term, when I get to the third letter it freezes. I then have to wait about twenty seconds to get the "Force Close" prompt, but then if I close it and do it over exactly the same way, no problem. This happens repeatedly and nearly predictably.

Any thoughts.

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Have you tried rebooting the device yet?

3. GeorgeinLA

Yeah, it's been rebooted several times since this started happening.

4. GeorgeinLA

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with the auto-generated search terms that appear as you're typing in the letter. I tried to shut that feature off, but I wasn't able to.

5. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

I've had this problem too. It drives me crazy. You'd think if Google wanted any app to work without issue, it would be the "search" function, which drives traffic to google.com where they can make ad revenue.

6. Heliskier59

Heliskier59 Active Member

I was having the same problem and it was driving me crazy...I think I found a fix....back up your data and do a factory reset (not just a simple reboot)...the OS will reinstall...it seems to have taken care of the problem....everything is a bit snappier too...this will take up to an hour so do this when you have some spare time...I think the OS code sometimes gets corrupted so probab:ply shpuld do this manuever every 6 months to a year or anytime the device begins demonstrating a pattern of weird behavior...some people advocate doing this after every system upgrade as well...

7. nrmph

nrmph New Member

Is this recommended to work? Anyone with testimonial support of this technique?

8. Heliskier59

Heliskier59 Active Member

Unfortunately spoke too soon...problem resurfaced....it IS a bug...and not just a corrupted file...I have looked at many forums and cannot find a solution...too bad...

9. timp123

timp123 Active Member

I'm having the exact same problem? Any solutions yet?

10. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

If a factory data reset is not an option for you, try going into all Google related apps in the device manager and clearing cache and data both, then rebooting and reconfiguring Gmail.

Menu > settings > applications > manage applications > menu > sort by "all."

That has a way of washing out many issues.

11. SilentJa

SilentJa New Member

I've been having this problem myself on my HTC desire. Try changing the search to web only and see if it still crashes.

12. tapanzee

tapanzee New Member

is there a mechanism to submit this to the android OS team?

(and a forum process question: was there a way that I could be notified of new comments on this thread without responding?)

many thanks

13. kildonan500

kildonan500 Member

Incase anybody googles this problem, This is due to the auto suggest feature. You can turn it off on droid 2 by going to settings >> search >> google >> then clcik the checkbox to turn off search suggestions.